We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping on Isla

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
tipping on Isla

How much is customary (in US Dollars please) to tip at lunch or for a drink? We are generous tippers but this is our first trip to Isla and we don't want to make a bad first impression...in case we want to be invited back..............

Oceangirl

xoxoxoxoxo

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping on Isla

I tip the same as I tip at home - 15-20% at restaurants/bars.

I also tip daily for the maid. Have fun! :)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping on Isla

Totally agree. I tip the same as at home. There has been a lot of discussion about pesos vs. US $. We have been to Isla many times and know personally that our maids like US$. They have told us that the wait staff also prefers them. Have a blast on Isla. We have one more week to enjoy it, then back to the cold.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping on Isla

wyobean - did the maids say why they preferred the USD? I have heard different things over the years . . . that most locals prefer pesos so they don't have to exchange them, etc., and then I hear that USD is good - makes me curious! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping on Isla

We always tip 20 percent, like here at home. We leave the maid 3-4 dollars a day, either in dollars or pesos, depending on what's handy. Some prefer pesos; some prefer dollars. We've heard that dollars are good because they can hold onto them until there's a good x-change rate and get more pesos. I'm no financial whiz so not sure that makes sense lol but that's what someone told us.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping on Isla

I would guess the maid prefer dollars simply because they generally get a larger tip, since the exchange rate is in their favor. Someone probably won't leave 13 pesos, they'd leave 10, but they'd leave a dollar.....

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping on Isla

I would hope noone would leave a dollar! I am here now and will let you know how it is.....I will keep in touch!

Oceangirl

xoxoxoxoxo

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping on Isla

The idea is the same whether you leave $1.00 or $5.00. The maid gets more cash if you leave dollars. That was the point.

Ontario
Level Contributor
348 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping on Isla

Gosh, we were only leaving $1 per day (sometimes $2) I had no idea. I feel really bad. Is there a publication somewhere of suggested tips for different services in Mexico?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping on Isla

Shug, so many people leave nothing. It's a big complaint of housekeeping staff everywhere, in the U.S. as well as other countries. I'm sure they appreciated your tips :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping on Isla

Shug - I had read about tipping for the maids on the www.islamujeres.info chatter pages, so I brought small gifts along with my daily tips for my first trip to Isla. But a guide would be a good idea - because I had no idea how much to tip the bicycle guy with our luggage . . . and at the time, it was my first trip to MX, so I really didn't have any idea about what my pesos were really worth or anything. I am sure I made many mistakes that first trip - either over or undertipping!

You know, I know for many of us Americans, we don't think about tipping maids at hotels - I know I didn't. But I once stayed with a friend who was leaving a tip for the maid and she educated me, so I now know how/what to tip for that as well. :)