We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving For Cancun Airport

lubec maine
Level Contributor
131 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving For Cancun Airport

We are staying at PA. Plane leaves Cancun at 1pm to US. Can anyone estimate how long before flight we should leave PA?

(I haven't been there yet & I don't want to leave)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,263 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

You should be at the airport 2 1/2 - 3 hours before your flight, or at least that's what they were recommending in January. It takes about 20 minutes to cross by ferry, then another 20 - 30 minutes to the airport depending on traffic. So I would probably want to catch the 9:30 ferry at the latest, which means checking out of PA around 9:00. I hate to rush and stress so I would rather have extra time to kill at the airport than have a melt down if we're stuck in traffc or got a flat, lol.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

Our flight left Cancun at 2pm. The transportation company told us to be at the Cancun side of the ferry for a 10:50am pickup. We were at the airport by 11:30am. After we checked in and took care of our bags - we had a nice lunch at Bubba Gumps and just wandered the stores until we had to board the plane. ***be advised that: first you go thru regular security at the airport, then just as you board the plane, this team of people shows up and you undergo more scrutiny, i.e. pat down and search of your carry-ons.!***** that took awhile!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

Our flight left Cancun at 2pm. The transportation company told us to be at the Cancun side of the ferry for a 10:50am pickup. We were at the airport by 11:30am. After we checked in and took care of our bags - we had a nice lunch at Bubba Gumps and just wandered the stores until we had to board the plane. ***be advised that: first you go thru regular security at the airport, then just as you board the plane, this team of people shows up and you undergo more scrutiny, i.e. pat down and search of your carry-ons.!***** that took awhile!

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

We were at the airport Saturday and it was a NIGHTMARE! We flew Delta and it was a horror scene! Thank goodness we did not have a connecting flight or we wouldn't have made it. Took us over 3 hours to get thru check in and security! Fortunately, our flight was delayed 4 hours so we had plenty of time to (waste) money at Cancun International....not many options for cheap eats there! should have filled my pockets before I left Isla! LOL!

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

Our flight left at 5:40 PM on Saturday. We caught the 2:30 ferry and we did fine, BUT the United long was VERY long - our Alaska Air line was short, and even then their printer broke and we had to wait a long time. We had enough time to get through security, get two last pina coladas and a bite to take on the plane (wooooo a lot of money). If we did it again I would catch a 2:00 ferry.

New England
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

Check in online with Delta and you skip those long lines.

7. Re: Leaving For Cancun Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 07:17