We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "Must Eat" List

Paris, France
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The "Must Eat" List

In all honesty, as long as I find good food I'm a happy camper when it comes to vacation. So calling all foodies - I've got the mapchick map and have read tonssss of reviews, but when it comes down to it I've only got 7 days and need to not be spilling over that bathing suit (too much).

I'm making a list and would love your help on what I absolutely must consume before I leave the island. I am a seafood loverrrrr, especially when it's fresh and cheap. Please help my stomach lead the way!

new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The "Must Eat" List

I'm a seafood lover too but also like chicken. Here's my list of must try foods:

French Bistro

The filet of fish with caper sauce. I'd put that dish up against any restaurant in NY. It's outstanding. One of my favorites. Their smoked salmon appetizer is also a winner.

Miramar

The seafood tacos are very fresh, with a nice mixture of seafood. Three for around 5 -6 dollars. Their whole fried fish is also wonderful, and so is the garlic fish filet. I know people rave about Picus but I find the food at Miramar much better.

Olivia

Chicken with olives, falling off the bone tender. Moroccan fish is also terrific and I love their tapas.

Rolandi's (in town)

Shrimp or fish filet in parsley sauce, wood oven baked chicken with roast potatoes and veggies.

Sunset Grill

All their seafood dishes rock, plus you sit with your toes in the sand right by the water. Beachy-romantic.

Sergio's Playa Sol

Any of the soups: shrimp or seafood, both terrific. Chicken tacos with guacamole.

Mentioned in this post
Miramar
Miramar
209 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
397 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
371 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "Must Eat" List

Seafood at Valesquez right across from Posada is really good for lunch, and their margaritas were one of my favourites. Actually all the restaurants between the beach and the ferry dock are good. Bally Hoo as well, and Brisas along the same street. We were there for 2 weeks, and still couldn't try every place, but something we started doing in week two was grazing throughout the day, but sharing everything so we could try many things, but not consume as much. With lots of walking we gained no weight after 2 weeks, even with all the drinks! That is the great thing about Isla... swim, drink, walk, eat, walk, drink, walk, sleep, ... Works for me!

New England
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The "Must Eat" List

I agree with much of travelernewyork's list but also try

Victor's Cuba Libra

Justica Social

El Patio

Comono

Cafe Hidalgo for breakfast or crepes and the best cappuccino and croissants I have ever had!

Also, I think Olivia is totally overrated. The only thing that met expectations there was the Mojito. However I seem to be one of a few exceptions who do not like it.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 21:33
Mentioned in this post
Cafe Hidalgo
Cafe Hidalgo
187 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The "Must Eat" List

Gotta find Ballpark Tacos mid-island. Medina Tacos on Hidalgo and another location out-of-town, also good. Cazula's M&J, French Bistro (haven't tried other than breakfast but hear it's wonderful), & Buccaneros Hotel for breakfast. Miramar, like posted above, has always been great. Good ambiance & drinks at Sunset Grill, little overpriced compared to downtown restaurants but handy if on the beach or staying at Nautibeach. Good fish tacos at Jax. Cuban sandwich at Qubano's. Cuba Libra for mojitos, Justica Social for fresh fish and lobster.

Mentioned in this post
Miramar
Miramar
209 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
397 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The "Must Eat" List

The best cheap breakfast is at El Poc Chuc at the market (3d place in from the street). They also have terrific coffee, a rarity in most places. For two of us it was always under 10 dollars, usually around 8 or so. They also have a place on Juarez called the same.

El Patio is on my must try list this March. Problem is, so many places and so little time :)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The "Must Eat" List

Mango Cafe for breakfast enchiladas and the Eggs Benedict with curry hollandaise.. Daisy and Raouls for genuine Mexican food very tasty and cheap..its a little hole in the wall mid Island but worth the trip! I like Olivia's but it is a bit more expensive ..the tapas was really good there..Victors Cuba Libre was really good too ..good cuban sandwich and fried plantains..yummy!! El Patio was good too ..soo many places to eat and not enough time ! Have a bimbo dog too!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The "Must Eat" List

has anyone been to carratara el garrafon for the whole red snapper filet grilled with achiote paste? is there anywhere else to get this dish?

new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The "Must Eat" List

I think you're talking about the famous tix n chic dish? You can get it at Casa del Tix n Chic (foremerly Playa Lancheros) and also at Playa del Tiburon. Sergio's Playa Sol has had it as well.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The "Must Eat" List

yum. that dish sounds amazing. i can't wait to try it!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The "Must Eat" List

anywhere that they do fish tacos grilled, not fried?