We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

Looking for that wow vacation but how far are we from a swimmable beach? Anyone have a preferance for one or the other with kids in tow...youngest being 3?

arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

Ixchel, hands down! Great location, perfect shallow beach - almost like a giant kiddy pool - beach chairs, close snacks/bathroom, great pool for kids. Secreto looks great (we checked it out on our last visit), but I don't think it would be the best place to stay with kids. I

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

Definitely Ixchel. Secreto is a small, boutique type hotel best suited for couples. And while a swimmable beach is just a few minutes away around the corner, I really don't think it's the best place for children. I agree with everything locogringa said about Ixchel. Plus Ixchel has kitchens so you can make snacks, light meals, etc. which is convenient when traveling with young kids. I wouldn't even consider Secreto if I were going with children.

Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

Thanks for the helpful info!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

What about the noise from the disco? All the complaints make it seem like a real problem.

Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

My understanding that if it is bad it is really bad....vibrating rooms from bass. So that is definitely a worry but it usually is only on the weekends......I don't know I am torn....it has everything else we want and need at a great price. Anyone else chime in?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

I have neighbors who stayed at Ixchel a couple of weeks ago, they said although they heard some of the disco noise, it wasn't enough to keep them awake and also it wasn't every night, just on the weekend.

Ixchel would still be the best choice with the kids.

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

Check out Nautibeach too. We go there with our toddler every year and I prefer it over Ixchel. Just seems more family-friendly to me and SUPER staff!

arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

We are taking our family (2 youngsters in tow) to Nautibeach this summer. Check out VRBO or go directly throught the owner's co-op. We were able to get a ground floor unit which helps a lot with kids! Good luck and keep us posted.

9. Re: Ixchel Beach Hotel vs Hotel Secreto...with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:15