We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameras?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cameras?

What do you guys do with your cameras while you're romping around the island on a golf cart? I was planning to stop off at a few snorkeling sites but don't know what to do with my camera while my husband and I are both in the water. It wouldn't be much fun taking turns and going in by ourselves. Do the beach clubs have lockers?

Denver, Co
Level Contributor
63 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cameras?

My friend just bought the Fugi waterproof digital camera from Amazon & we took it with us to Cabo last month. I thought it took great pictures in & out of water so I'm ordering one for my trip to Isla in June. Can't wait!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,660 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cameras?

Again, just so it doesn't get lost amidst all the posts, lol, if you go to snorkel at the Garrafon de Castilla beach club you can rent lockers. And other places, aside from by the bridge to Avalon, really do not have worthwhile snorkeling.

Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cameras?

Just an FYI in regards to Disposable Cameras, we used them for underwater snorkeling in Grand Cayman, Belize, and on land. Picture quality is not that great, we blew through 5 or 6 of them and only ended up with a handful of decent pics. The cost of each, plus all the developing was such a waste.

Honestly if you can afford to purchase an all around camera w/underwater capabilities I think you would be money ahead in the long wrong.

We are planing on buying one for the same reasons not just underwater quality, but what does one do with their really expensive cameras while in the water.

(look up underwater camera reviews online)*If I find the site I'll send it your way.

Here is what I've read up on as the top 2 cameras

Cannon D10 or the Olympus 8000 tough series(you can dive up to 33'), there are others that are cheaper priced but underwater depths are only a few feet.

Have a great trip!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
670 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cameras?

Regardless of where I go (Isla, PDC, Dom. Republic, etc.), I've never had trouble leaving my stuff with a friendly bartender. If you're at Playa Norte, you'll likely be renting a chair from someone; if so, just take your daypack back to their bar and ask if they'd be willing to hold it for you while you swim.

Enjoy your time there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Cameras?

I'm looking into these DiCAPac bags! Let's you turn your standard digi cam into an underwater cam.

http://www.dicapac.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Cameras?

This is exactly the info I need! I already have an underwater point and shoot, but I want to bring my DSLR to Isla Mujeres so I can get some REALLY amazing photos... but I, too, worry about where to put it when romping in the water. The Garrafon Hotel sounds like a great option. Are there any others?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cameras?

i think i'd be very nervous to put my camera in a DICApac.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Cameras?

Yeah, I'd never trust my DSLR with a Dicapac. My Point & Shoot though? Yes, for sure. Done it before and it works great. :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,759 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cameras?

OK I'm back. We're going to Costa Rica and there aren't always beach bars etc. to leave your stuff. So here's what I posted on that forum about the Kwik Tek Dry Pak Multi-Purpose Ny lon Case.

They suggest you test it upon arrival and tell you how to do so. It is designed to float behind you. It has a strap so you can hang it any way you would like from your body. As suggested I put a piece of computer paper in each bag, made sure there was a little air in the bag, closed it up, and it floated. They suggested holding it down in the water a minute to make sure no bubbles were coming from it. None were, so mine was closed correctly, and they are easy to close. I was able to put my computer paper back with the rest of the paper.

When you open it, as people say in the reviews on Amazon some little drips of water can drop inside from the outside top, so I will put my camera in a baggie inside this bag in case that one or two drops falls on the wrong spot of my camera.

The ones we ordered is 12 x 16 x 4 inches and cost 24.90 on Amazon. There are other sizes. They are very heavy duty opague nylon. We can fit a thin towel, (but we're only bringing sarongs to use as towels because they dry fast) book, sandles, money, sunscreen and camera in it. It can serve as a combination beach and water proof bag. On the outside it has a net pouch which you put your water bottle in or sunscreen, anything waterproof.

Oh boy, now we can all get in the water at the same time!!!

Read all the directions on the card before you test.

Edited: 04 March 2010, 17:55
20. Re: Cameras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:16