We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

New England
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

Hi

I'm getting very excited! Almost time to get the suitcase out and start packing.

What everyone wears out in the evening to go to dinner, drinks, listen to music? Just want to get a sense of what kind of clothes I need to bring besides what I plan to live in during the day-- bathing suit and flip flops!

Any other advice from you experts that've been to isla is welcome!

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

Not much - really! Isla is very casual, so just plan on shorts/tank tops, etc. You can keep it very simple - maybe a shirt/light fleece for cooler evenings . . . but certainly nothing fancy . Perhaps a pareo cover up for that swimsuit. :) The only time I have seen tourists dress up on Isla was for New Year's Eve. Not sure how long you are staying, but they have very affordable laundry services as well, so truly no need to over pack. :)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

I like to wear a sundress and sandals at night but thats just me ..I love clothes ..but you can get away with shorts or capris and a tank top and a light sweater... any of that fits in ..its pretty casual.

New England
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

coalminer--where is the laundry service and how long does it take to get your clothes back?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

Get out 4 travel bags, Pack the 3 largest bags first. Now get the 4th bag out and put it on the bed! now take from the 1st three bags and pack the only one you will need to take with you. Just back have a great trip!!!!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

There are several laundry places around town - lavandería is what they are called. We usually use Tim Pho in the centro area - and it usually takes about 2 hours (though I plan on a day) to have your clothes wash, dried and folded - very nice! :)

New England
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

Sc0t--Love it!

Thanks, Coalminer. I like knowing that there's an option if I want to pack less!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

You are welcome! Anything to make traveling easier. :)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

-----------------------------THINGS TO PACK-------------------------------

This is a list of items we have found useful during our tropical vacations.

You don’t have to pack everything listed. The list isn’t in any kind of order.

Sunblock 30-60 spf

Chapstick 15-20 spf

Small Collapsible Cooler & Cup Cozies/Holders for your drinks

Inflatable Pool Floats

Bug Spray Wipes with Deet

Cream/Ointment for Insect Bites

First Aid Kit / Bandages / Neosporin / Blister Bandages

Travel Kleenex Pack / Hand Sanitizer

Sunburn Relief Gel / Lotion with Aloe

Regular Lotion

Tummy Medicine / Aspirin

Personal Products – Prescription Medications, Vitamins, Allergy Meds

Make-up

Curling Iron or Straightner

Bathroom Items – Shaving Cream, Razors, Shampoo, Conditioner, Deodorant, Perfume, Q-tips, Hair Products, Toothbrush & Toothpaste

Contacts/Glasses and a current copy of your prescription (Just in case you lose or damage your contacts/glasses during your vacation)

Jewelry-Watch

Sunglasses-Hats (Straw Hat, Baseball Cap or Visor)

Small packback to take with you when you leave the resort to go shopping or on an excursion

Dress outfits to wear to dinner (Dresses, Skirts or Capris)

Little purse for dinners and nights out-on-the-town

Dress shoes, Beach shoes, Water shoes, Sneakers, Socks

Beach Clothes – Swimsuits, Cover-ups, Skirts, Sundresses, Shorts, Tank-tops, etc

Beach bag (I also bring a small zippered pouch to put my chapstick, small bottle of sunblock, bandages and other smaller items in)

Books/Magazines

Snorkel Gear / Wet Suits

Downy Wrinkle Releaser and Febreze

Lint Roller

Ziploc Baggies and Small Trash Bags – To put wet swimsuits in or other items (shampoo, lotions, gels, etc) that might leak in your luggage during travel.

Water Cameras and Disposal Cameras (Just in case your good camera gets broke or has problems)

Digital Camera/Camcorder, Cords, Batteries, Battery Charger, Extra Batteries and Memory Cards

Small Candle and lighter or matches

Calling Card

Clothes pins or clips to help hold down your towel on your beach chair (the wind likes to blow them off)

Sweatshirt, sweater or some sort of jacket to wear at night (It cools down at night)

--------------Things to pack in your carryon--------------------------

Any Valuables or Breakables (Cameras, Jewelry, Electronics, Travel Docs, Money, etc)

Extra set of clothes and swimsuit in case your luggage is lost or delayed

Medications / Prescriptions / Any personal products you might need

-----------------VERY IMPORTANT ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU----------------

Drivers License, Passport, Traveler’s Checks, Cash ($1’s or $5’s for tipping), Credit Card or ATM Card

**Make sure you call your credit card company prior to leaving the states and let them know you’ll be traveling out of the country for a week and you’ll be making international charges.

**Empty your wallets/purse before you leave home –YOU ONLY NEED YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND DRIVER’S LICENSE – NOTHING ELSE. LEAVE ALL THE EXTRA STUFF AT HOME, INCASE YOUR WALLET IS LOST OR STOLEN.

Travel Docs – Resort Confirmation Sheet (Physical Address, Phone Number, etc); Ground Transportation Confirmation Sheet; Airline Tickets/Confirmation; Travel Agent Contact Info/Phone Number; Emergency Information; Maps/Travel Guides and any other email addresses or phone numbers you might need. (Put everything in a folder or manila envelope to keep it organized and put it in your purse or carryon.)

------------------THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU LEAVE-------------------------

**Have your mail held while you’re gone. Go to https://holdmail.usps.com/duns/HoldMail.jsp

**Make sure all your current bills are paid before you leave. Check the due dates from your previous statements to see if any bills might arrive while you’re gone that need to be paid before you leave or make sure you’ll have enough time to get them paid when you get back.

**Call your Bank/Credit Card Companies

**Confirm all your reservations and flights and print all your travel docs. (Give a relative or friend a copy of your travel docs so they know where you are staying at and what flights you are on.)

**Fill any prescriptions that you may need to take with you.

**Arrange for someone to watch your house and take care of your pets.

**Call your cell phone provider and add the international calling feature to your current plan. You might not plan on using your cell phone while you are there, but at least if you needed to during an emergency, you could.

**Check all current airport guidelines (All liquids, gels and/or aerosols that are in your purse or carryon must be 3 oz containers or smaller and be put into a 1 Quart Plastic Zip-locked Bag) and (As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage. Visit these websites to learn more regarding the battery guidelines.

tsa.gov/travelers/…batteries.shtm

safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

One more tip - take a photocopy of your passport, drivers license and the front and back of any debit cards/credit cards you are taking with you. Leave those copies with a trusted person back home. Much less hassle if things happen to lost or stolen.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The count begins...what to pack, what to pack?

Hmm. Now I can't decide between the sundress or capris.