We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

Kuwait
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

I plan on spending one day on Isla Mujeres with my wife and two teenage daughters around the end of July, 2010. We will be renting a condo on the South end of the Cancun Hotel Zone strip.

We want to go to Isla for one day. What is the best way to get there from our location? And what is the best way to experience the island? We would be interested in swimming with Dolphins, snorkeling, and maybe just me snorkeling with the Whale Sharks.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

norwalk ct
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

They have a ferry boat that runs from somewhere over their to isla,its about half way down the Cancun strip,just ask when you get their.

you can rent a gulf-cart on isla for the day or by the hour to go around isla/

Just enjoy the day,great beach,many great places to eat.

If you can get to isla before 8.30 or so capt. tony has a great trip to contoy, if the weather is good,millions of birds you stop and snorkel half way,he feeds you lunch,that would be a great trip. just ask where he lives everyone knows him hes great and speaks better English then i do.if you go to contoy bring a coat,the weather changes fast and if you have the wind at your back going it will be in your face coming back and may get cool.

Enjoy your trip,oh yea bring a camera.

let us know how your day went.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

Just take a cab to Gran Puerto ferry docks then the ferry to Isla. Once there, it all depends on what you want to do.

For whale shark tours check out our Top Questions on the upper right corner. If you were to arrange for one, you don't really need a golf cart.

If you want to swim with the dolphins and/or snorkel without going off island, rent a golf cart and go to dolphin discovery in Sac Bajo area, then afterwards go to Hotel Garrafon de Castilla beach club for some snorkeling. Finish the day by visiting Punta Sur, then drive back along the Caribbean side, return your golf cart, and walk around downtown a bit.

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

And stay for the sunset.

If you are certain about the whale trip, that will take up most of the day. And I think you can do that from Cancun. Otherwise, go with Capt. Tony as he is the best and spend two days on Isla!! You won't regret it. FYI, snorkeling is not that good on Isla. The best would be a couple hour snorkel hire from the dock to El Forolito just a few minutes off shore. They usually leave 10-11am.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

Do get a map before you go - it will be a great help. www.cancunmap.com. :)

5. Re: Suggested things to do on Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 07:18