We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night on Isla - no reservations?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One night on Isla - no reservations?

We're spending our first night of vacation on Isla Mujeres before heading down to Puerto Morelos. What are our chances of getting a room on the spot at an inexpensive small hotel without having a reservation? The Hotel Belmar wanted my credit card info via email, which I'm not comfortable with. Any suggestions would be great! I've been obsessively reading the forums and can't wait to go! Going 4/9/10-4/17/10.

thanks

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,996 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

Walk over to Posada del Mar. Just a few minutes from ferry and after April their rates in the old building drop to like 55 dollars. It's pretty large so that there should be a room available. Or you can contact www.morningsinmexico.com She is very reliable and we've been dealing with her for years.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

You won't have a problem. Make a list of few places you think you'd like. One person stays with the luggage drinking libations, and the other checks the places out, rents one, goes back to libation drinker, and the rest is....a trip report!

Wilmington NC
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

I volunteer for the drinking of libations while you look for a room.

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

You can almost always find a room somewhere on Isla, but you have chosen to go during Easter week, when Mexican families are on vacation (no school). These means larger crowds are likely. By the way, Posada del Mar's cheapest rooms are $55 USD PLUS 14% tax. Still a good value, but it is not a small hotel.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
670 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

A couple thoughts...

1. If you're confident that Hotel Belmar provides you what you want, and it's merely the credit card concern holding you back, call your credit card company to see if they can issue you a "temporary" card #. Citibank does this so that cardolders can make internet purchases, etc. w/greater peace of mind. I believe you tell them how many times you want to use the number and how much $ you want it to be good for. Also consider asking the hotel if they can invoice you via PayPal (you'd still prepay, but the hotel never sees your credit card #).

2. You might want to consider Las Palmas as well. Sweet little place for the budget-minded, extremely friendly mother/daughter team (ex-pat Canadian), great inexpensive breakfast across the street (at the mercado). I stayed with them last April and they took my reservation w/o need for a credit card #.

3. You're travel dates are smackdab in that zone where high season is ending, and low season is just beginning. While my gut tells me you'll likely have a number of options if you walk around upon arrival, why leave it to chance? I like to know my vacation is going to get off to a good start, and for me that includes being assured that there is a specific room at a specific hotel being held for me my first night. Then I and my travelling companions can ALL enjoy libations when you arrive. :-)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,996 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

Hotel Belmar is exactly the same price as Posada for a double room (55 plus tax), so as far as cost is concerned, it's a wash. IMO, Posada is a better value as 1) it's not smack in the middle of Hidalgo with all the restaurants and bars, 2) it has a great pool and palapa bar at which to relax, and 3) the old section has ocean view rooms with balconies.

You may also want to consider Vistalmar, though you have a better chance of finding a room as a "walk in" at larger places with more rooms.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

Thanks for all the good advice, especially about the credit card. I may try to get in touch with Los Palmas or one of the other places suggested. I just liked the look of the rooms at Hotel Belmar, and we kind of wanted to be in the thick of things that first night, because after that it's 7 nights at Ceiba del Mar in PM.

Ok, NCwineguy - you watch the bags, just leave me with your wallet. ;)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

If you want to be in the thick of things, I would consider Suites Los Arcos, Plaza Alemendros, Bucaneros - there are many hotels along Hidalgo that would fit what you are looking for. :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

I don't think many rooms at the Belmar face the street (referring to being in the "thick of things")....and it is above a very very busy restaurant. It would not be my first choice! Check out Los Arcos; great location on Hidalgo, balconies over the street, nice rooms.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night on Isla - no reservations?

I did the same thing as you. Stayed in Puerto Moralos, but did one night on Isla. Stayed at the Hotel Las Palmas. Kate and Safari are great people, its only $60.00 and the location is great.

http://www.laspalmasonisla.com/ Their website.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1075841653#!/laspalmasonisla

That is their Facebook page.

I loved this place...

Edited: 02 April 2010, 18:12