We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks and Kids....

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
323 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks and Kids....

We are arriving in Isla this year on June 15th - whale shark season! I've always wanted to see them and will be there w/my husband and our 4 year old.

My question is this; for those of you that have been how long is it and how rough is the boatride? My son is great on boats (we have one) and I always bring his USCG lifejacket that he wears w/o fuss, but I don't know if this is too much (rough/dangerous) for him at this age.

I'd love any feedback; thanks!

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
845 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

We were on Isla two summers ago with our four boys ages 5-10 years old at the time. They have all grown up boating, the youngest was two days old the first time he went out on our boat, (yes, they make life jackets that small). We thought about doing the whale sharks with them, we talked to Capt. Tony about it and he suggested that we wait a couple of years so the youngest was old enough to swim with the whale sharks. He said that Contoy Island would be better. He was right and we had a great time on the Contoy trip. The boat ride to the Whale Sharks is a lot longer.

Here is the links to our Contoy trip with Capt. Tony. They are posted on www.islamujeres.info a great forum for Isla Mujeres.

http://tinyurl.com/y2xns2n

http://tinyurl.com/yymjrsd

Which ever trip you decide on Capt. Tony is the one to go with.

astoria, ny
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

How long is the boat ride to Contoy Island and is it rough? My stomach doesn't love boat rides but i think my girls would love going to Contoy.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,586 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

The ride can be rough - depends who you go with. Capt Tony only goes when the weather is good, but sometimes it can change. I have done the trip twice with Tony and loved it! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

We did the whale sharks last summer with Keen M. My 10 year old was fine, I was the one who ended up seasick - yuck! And I'm usually pretty tolerant too. The boat ride wasn't that rough, but you are getting in some deep wavy water in the middle of nowhere to snorkel with them, I was caught off guard a bit - I usually ease my way in to snorkeling and didn't have time to get my bearings! You just have to jump in and go for it when the timing is right. Think I got a few mouthfuls of water too. It was an awesome experience overall though! Next time I will eat a good breakfast and bring some bonine or something of the like.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
845 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

When we went to Contoy it took about an hour of travel time each way with a 45 minute stop at a reef on the way out for snorkeling. It was a little rough on the way back, about 3 foot rolling waves. Our boys thought it was fun, well two did, the youngest two slept most of the way back.

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

Thanks for all the replies. We will wait a couople more years for the whale shark, but will go to Isla Contoy with Capt'n Tony. I've heard great things about him.

Hogfamily - I laughed about your youngest sleeping through the rough water. My son always falls asleep on our boat and the rougher it is, the better he sleeps:)

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

We did the Contoy trip. We didn't listen to advise and booked with someone other than Captain Tony, it was a big mistake. The weather was bad but this guys said it would be fine. The waves were huge, really huge, like 15 foot waves. I was terrified and said a rosary, really I did. Once we got there it was lovely and I enjoyed the lunch and the ray and the snorkeling. However, the trip back was worst because by this time it was raining and if possible the waves were bigger. I get very sea sick so I took Dramamine and didn't throw up. But please take the good advice and only book from someone who will cancel if the conditions are not right. I would do the trip again but I'd book with Captain Tony this time. I don't know him but he has a good reputation.

8. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 20:05
9. Re: Whale Sharks and Kids....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 06:25