We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

My husband and I loved both Isla Mujeres (2009) and Cozumel (2001) but HATED Puerto Vallarta (2007). The islands were less americanized, more authentic, and we love exploring the local shoppings and restaurants as well as enjoying beautiful beaches. We hated PV because it could have been Miami- way too americanized, big city and crowded for us.

We're headed out again for Christmas 2010- any recommendations?

Thanks!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

We went to Akumal for the first time this January and loved it. Very laid back and relaxing. It was developed for tourism so the actual "authentic" part is Akumal Pueblo, across the highway and inland, as opposed to the beach area, which is the tourist section. In that it's similar to Tulum. There are not too many shops or choice of restaurants like there is on Isla but there were enough to keep us happy.

There is also Holbox, which is on our to-be-visited list but we haven't been yet. It is supposed to be the way Isla was prior to "development." Check out their forum at

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g616319-Holbox_Islan…

Edited: 03 May 2010, 21:35
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

If you liked Isla you might wanna check out Bocas del Toro, Panama. Very laid back, nice beaches, very friendly people. Another suggestion might be one of Belize's cayes--Ambergris Caye if you want more action or Caye Caulker or one of the outer islands if you want more seclusion. Happy hunting!

London
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

I was in isla Mujeres 2009 and loved it too! Those sunsets. I am from London and did find Cancun just awful though, as well as Playa. Take a slightly longer flight and head to Belize, the island of san Pedro. Like Isla...a real place and just magic! good luck

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

Actually, San Pedro is the town on Ambergris Caye--so that makes it two votes!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

How complicated is it to get to Ambergris Caye from the mainland (airport)?

London
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

As soon as my flight from Houston arrived in Belize City, I had a little look around at what people were doing and jumped on the next flight to San Pedro. Did not need to book. It was a small plane with only 6 of us and the over the waters to san Pedro were crystle clear. 15/20 mins journey from Belize City airport.....very essy commute. San Pedro is wonderful (like Isla Murjeres), and if you dive, try the Blue Hole.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

I am interested in how Ambergis Caye compares to Isla in terms of beach, food, lodging, & fun. I love Isla Mujeres for he same reasons as others and I have been to Placencia and other parts of Belize but no one raves about their beaches and I can't give a big plug for the food either- just OK. But some people love San Pedro - what's the draw? Other than diving?

Edited: 03 May 2010, 23:42
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

Jane, thank you. Sounds easy enough. And food and beaches are important to me as well, and I don't dive.

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

If you are headed back to Mexico, try Zihuatanejo. We stayed there five years ago and it had alot of local flavor. However, skip Ixtapa - stayed there 2 nights and reminded me of Cancun!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved Isla Mujeres & Cozumel...where next?

OK, you're right--Belize is not famed for beautiful beaches. Nothing like Playa Norte. But the "vibe" of Ambergris Caye is similar to Isla Mujeres. And from what I've heard, Caye Culker is what Isla must have been 20 years ago. And most who go are into either diving or snorkeling--the reef is within sight of the beach. Most people also spend some time inland--check out the Cayo District, home to some spectacular Mayan ruins, including Tikal, which is just over the border into Guatemala.