We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime on isla?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Crime on isla?

I've been going to Isla for years...usually 2x per year and have never been the victim of a crime. However, I've been reading on some of the blogs about increased in property related theft and such. Any news about what's happening down there? I'm about to go back July 1-9 and want to know the scoop.

norwalk ct
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime on isla?

If you are renting a house maybe it would be good to buy a few of the things that you put on your windows and doors that make a sound if moved,better be safe then sorry.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime on isla?

I don't think crime is any worse than it ever has been, it is just getting more PR what with the increased popularity of blogs, etc.

Use the same common sense and safely measure you would use anywhere, IMO. We have a door stop alarm, we have never heard it go off except when we test it.

We do have friends, ex pats, that have been victims of theft but not in the last several years frankly.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,864 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime on isla?

I think there has always been petty theft - my mode of travel means to travel lightly with nothing really worth stealing. Many of the thefts I have read about are because people have left windows/doors unlocked because they have that "paradise" mentality even when warned by property managers. I would be cautious (as when traveling anywhere) but not be overly concerned. We do use room safes for passports/extra cash, but that is about it. Have a good trip! :)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime on isla?

We just got back from Isla on Sunday and honestly felt somewhat safer there than here. We cruised around at night in the Colonias on the golf cart. But with Isla and anywhere you should always use caution be aware of your surroundings and so forth. Isla is a great place to go and we cannot wait to get back!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime on isla?

As mentioned, the property crime tends to be petty and opportunistic. A laptop out in plain view with windows and/or door open; a camera or bag left in a golf cart; things left outside the house unattended. Lock doors and windows at night or while not at home and don't leave anything you would mind losing in plain sight unattended.

Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime on isla?

I live an hour northeast of your hometown. I felt safer on Isla than I did in North Park mall or the Galleria. Both places report an increase in people stealing copper pipes or copper wires from houses. I see more news of that happening in Dallas, but its hard to tell if that's a difference in reporting or crime. I still shop in Dallas, but I'm careful!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime on isla?

Oh NorthPark is definitely more dangerous!

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime on isla?

We have been here almost two weeks; we are staying in Colonia La Gloria. We have five kids twelve and under. We have been wandering all over the area during the day, evening, and late at night with out any problems. Our kids play on the street in front of the house we are staying at day and night.

We love walking around and talking with the locals that are outside their homes at night. As our Spanish is limited most of our talking is done with smiles, nods, and hand gestures. It is amazing what a “HOLA!” can start. Our kids have been invited to many street soccer and other games.

We have been to the Downtown area several times also both day and night.

We feel perfectly comfortable letting our group of kids roam around both areas day and night by themselves. The main thing you have to watch out for is traffic when crossing streets.

Not many places we would allow that in the States.

As others have said watch your surroundings, keep an eye on your stuff, keep valuables out of sight, and lock them up when you leave where you are staying. And I will add do not “flash” expensive items. You can wear the simple jewelry and watches, (I take my inexpensive watch off as soon as we get here, don’t want to know what time it is, we are on vacation!). Leave the expensive stuff at home. In my humble opinion it is tacky to flaunt our comparative wealth by displaying expensive items anyway.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime on isla?

Thanks so much! I'm more worried now about the weather.

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime on isla?

You will also note the Mexican Marine presence as they patrol the streets in P/U trucks with 4 or 5 armed Marines on board. There is a base on Isla. Plus the local police do the same as well as patrol on foot. We have been to Isla three times and felt very safe.

Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres