We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

Go for nothing else but the ambiance!! Also, don't mark yourself as frugal...I'll tell you what I mean. We went there 2 nights ago. I was dressed up, but my Husband was not wearing a collared shirt like the other patrons around us. We sat down and ordered beers instead of wine, whereas the people around us had wine. I live in CA, I drink plenty of awesome wine...I'm in Mexico, I want a Bohemia or Victoria, I apologize. Then I order a Ceasar salad (I don't eat meat, I make an exception for Ceasar dressing okay) and my hubby orders Taquitos...OMG it was all over at this point. A warm reception turned into utter lack of regard and the only conclusion I could come to was that we looked like we weren't going to spend any money...which is always so weird to me b/c on vacation we tip at like 25 to 30% and try to be really polite as we are in someone else's country! I drew this conclusion b/c of the following reasons: It was slow and it did not appear that the restaurant was under staffed. The waiter diligently came to all of the tables around us over and over again, but did not come to our table once during the entire time we were there. He dropped off our food and left us high and dry until we had to go and get him for the check. No drinks, no inquiring about the orders, nothing!! Then he came back with the check and told us that he added (in pen) a mandatory 40 peso charge as a tip for the cooks...hmmm...that's strange...I've never seen that before. I am certain he thought we weren't going to tip him so he added this charge. I would be happy to tip the cooks--they deserve it if for no other reason than having to work in an extremely hot kitchen...but I don't think they ever saw that money. I really hope they did...but I don't find it likely.

I don't mind paying inflated prices for the opportunity to eat dinner with my toes in the sand and watch the sunset...but to charge 950 pesos for a small Ceasar salad in which the croutons were out of the cheap box that costs 99 cents and to serve my hubby burnt food...this miffs me a little bit, but not enough to the point where I would give a place a bad review. When the wait staff treats you like some piece of trash, then I get PO'ed. I don't expect to be doted on but at least come back and offer me another drink!

The moral of the story is, if you choose to go to Sunset Grill--dress up, take the jewelry out of the safe, order wine right off the bat, and get yourself a steak and lobster platter...you might also want to tell the waiter what you do, what your annual salary is, and how much you intend to tip...

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

How bad for you! Jusy another reason I usually go to a place where Mom is in the kitchen...

Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

One can never generalize about service based on one experience -- who knows why your waiter was having an off night? And they didn't add a service charge just for you, they do that to all bills, just above the type reading "gratuity not included." When I saw that I felt insulted, mentioned that I always tipped higher than their "service charge" , did so, and never went there again. That said, Sunset Grill has a very minor reputation for food on an island packed with excellent eateries.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

My husband used to be the only cook at a beach club on Cozumel. He got there early to clean the kitchen, prep the food, and cook the orders. Then he did the dishes, ordered for the following day and cleaned the kitchen again. He certainly earned the tips. The waitstaff would pool the tips and everyone got a share because they all helped to make the experience a good one. The waitstaff sometimes skimmed before dividing and they did so much less than my hubby. I don't know what other restaurants do and if the cooks usually, sometimes, or rarely benefit from tips. Your case really sounds like someone who is trying to insure that you don't leave them high and dry. So sad that you were treated like that. I don't care what the waitstaff thinks I will do or thinks of me, but I do expect to be treated like a valued customer. I'm so sorry that you walked away without that special touch that makes eating out...at any level...oh so worth it. There are plenty of places to spend your money where you will be welcomed and treated as you deserve to be...no need to go back.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

Well, don't take it too personally, I guess...last year my boyfriend and I went and, similar to you two, were neither overdressed nor dressed down, sat at a table in the sand and were one of maybe six occupied tables (it was about 8:30pm). We also ordered beers, however, we did order full meals with appetizers & entrees for both of us. Our waiter ignored our attempts to catch his attention for additional beverages as he walked within 3-4 feet of our table several times and only (reluctantly, I feel) came over when our food was up. The food was fine, I suppose. There are soooo many better dinner options on Isla than what we ate there. As you might see in my recent post about ceviche pulpo, I really liked theirs, but I'm really not looking to return to Sunset anytime soon. Also, I am completely all about Island Time, but in a not-busy restaurant, it shouldn't take 30+ minutes to get the check and our dinner dishes cleared.

p.s. We only managed to get 4 beers (between 2 ppl) during our entire dinner.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

Maybe my math is off here - but you paid 950 pesos for a ceasar salad - taquitos and no drinks ! That equals about $78 -$79 US dollars - I think I would have had alot to say about that bill - didn't you see prices on the menu before ordering ?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,671 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

That's really too bad you had such an experience at the Sunset Grill. I agree with the advice not to take it personally. I really don't think it was the lack of jewelry or dress up clothes; no one does that on Isla. Nor do I think it was the beer order since that's much more common to order than wine in the summer. I just read someone's blog on another site and she (a long time Isla goer and "regular") and her husband were thoroughly ignored in a particular restaurant that they frequent, and which wasn't busy, to the point that they got up and left. Unfortunately this happens and I don't think it's personal. But still, it's unacceptable and it should not have happened to you.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

jpcheer, you really need to complain to the manager, I know him and he's a fair man, if he has an employee acting the way you described, he would definitely want to know about it!

Did you happen to get a copy of that bill or receipt? If so, take it by there and ask for the manager..

Very sorry this happened to you.

Sunset Grili's website with menu and prices, not sure how up to date it is, Ceasar salads range from 80-140 pesos on here.

http://www.sunsetgrill.com.mx/food.html

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,671 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

I can't speak for the OP obviously but I think she meant that the Caesar salad was 95 pesos. Not that their bill was 950 pesos. I could be wrong but that's how I took it :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

Hola!

I haven't eaten at Sunset Grill, so no comment about that other than I am sorry that it happened to you. We had one night we were seated promptly at Angelos (I think!), given menus and then ignored by at least 3 different waiters, so we got up and left after about 15 mins. That has hardly ever happened to us on Isla, but occasionally it does.

HOWEVER, I would love to hear about the rest of your trip - do please share with us when you have time. Thanks! :)

Edited: 23 June 2010, 22:17
Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm going to get reamed for this but Sunset Grill is a joke!

I was a little taken aback by the 950 peso price too..but like travelerNewYork i think this must be a typo...

Safe Travels...jimmy