We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

First of all, many thanks to all the contributors to this forum. Your suggestions made it possible for us to have a great trip!

Our flight from Fort Lauderdale on Spirit departed four hours late, due to a back up caused by Tropical Storm Bonnie. Interestingly, JetBlue's comparable flight went out on time.

Our transfer with USA transfer was perfect.

Check in with Privileges Aluxes was a little frustrating as we waited for about 30 minutes and it was quite warm! The frustration mounted when we saw our TINY room. We paid $125 through Orbitz for the Super Saver Bed and Breakfast. We had stayed there last year and were lucky enough to get a free upgrade to a suite. We had no such luck this year. They told us the Super Saver Bed and Breakfast rooms are all like ours. When I say tiny, I mean much, much smaller than a typical Holiday Inn room. One advantage was that the walk from bed to toilet was literally 2 steps. I tested this. We inquired about an upgrade and they told us it would be an extra $30 a night. That just wasn't in the budget so we figured we would just tolerate it. The most frustrating aspect was the bathroom. The shower sprayed water all over a good portion of the bathroom. Also, we had a lot of wet scuba gear, none of which was prone to drying in the very damp bathroom. There were not many towel racks or hooks to dry things. I brought a couple of those cheap plastic hooks from Walmart and hung them on the closet doors.

More positive aspects of the Privileges Aluxes: The room was kept very clean. It was nice to have a refrigerator, even if it was small. The manager and staff of Sabor were very attentive and helpful. The manager even told me a little about the traditional breads they had for breakfast.

Some negatives aspects of the Privileges Aluxes: I absolutely would not recommend the Super Saver rooms for scuba divers, as you will be tripping over your gear and it will truly smell! As a side note, two members of our group stayed at Ixchel Beach hotel for $100 per night and their room was easily two to three times bigger than ours, with a larger refrigerator.

While some members of the front desk staff were helpful (sorry I don't remember their names), some were not. For example, I asked politely for help locating the phone number of Enrique's Unique Dives. One staff member tried to say she could not help, but another did finally help when I suggested she look in the phone book or on the internet. I called down and politely inquired if they knew if La Tigrena was open for dinner. The staff person said she did not know that restaurant, as if that closed the subject. I politely suggested that she look in a phone book or on the internet for the number so that we might call them. She put me on hold and then told me simply, "I cannot help you." Trust me when I say I bend over backwards to be polite to people, and this did me no good in this instance!

Food: We had one meal at Coyope. We enjoyed the live music and fajitias. I am long overdue in improving my Spanish but generally speaking I try my best. Anyway, the waiter seemed to take our order somewhat inaccurately. I asked for fried mushrooms and got fried cheese. Also, we received an extra beer and bottle of water that we did not order. I am certain that when I improve my Spanish, little mistakes like that will be less frequent. Also the waiter took a reallllllllllllllllllllly long time to get us our check, but "C'est la Vie" and who is going to get upset?

On 7/24/10, the heavens smiled on us for our whale shark tour! We went out with Carey Dive shop to the area that is called "the blue water" as contrasted with the "green water" we visited last year. This meant excellent visibility and dozens of whale sharks! What a treat! We got in the water in pairs several times and saw these giants up close and personal. Also we saw a manta and a turtle on the way there. Our second stop was at the Avalon Reef for snorkeling. The water was a bit choppy so swimming was a bit challenging. We saw an octopus and a couple of flamingo tongues. Also, our tour included coffee, drinks, ham sandwiches, fruit, chips, and ceviche.

For dinner we went to the Sunset Grill. The waiter let us know that our dinner would take quite some time, so we enjoyed chips and guacamole while we waited. My mixed salad and grilled chicken were excellent.

The weather did not cooperate for diving on 7/25 so we revised our plans and took the golf car to Punta Sur and Hotel Garrafon de Castilla for snorkeling. We saw a large southern stingray and watched people get stuck half way down the zip line.

For dinner ,we went to Brisas where once again my salad and chicken dish were high quality.

On 7/26, we took a snorkel trip to El Farito where we saw a barracuda, squid, large parrotfish, flamingo tonges, and an eel. It was this trip that I was somewhat confused about, since I thought the divemaster meant we would go to Sac Bajo for a second stop, but we actually only got in the water once.

For dinner, we went to Cafe del Mar where the view was great and the food was OK.

The morning of 7/27 was beautiful but it was time to go home! Once again USA Transfer was perfect.

Hope this was helpful, and thanks again to all the contributors!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,641 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

Thank you for the trip report. They are always so helpful and enjoyable to read. Where is Coyope? I don't think I know the place.

That's really a shame about the room being so tiny. That's exactly what I'm always afraid of when the price seems too good to be true. I know no one spends all their time in a room but still, I do need space to move around. I hope people who are booking PA because price is so good read this and rethink it if they need more room. I also think it's a shame that the front desk staff is so unhelpful; it's hard to believe they don't know how to look up phone numbers for local establishments. I hope you will review the hotel separately because I think it's important for people to read both the positive and negative of places they're considering.

On the positive side, so glad the whale shark tour turned out so well and you got to see them, and that overall your trip was good :)

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

I forgot to mention that we saw a flying gurnard on our snorkel trip to El Farito. Here's a photo I wish I would have taken: http://pixdaus.com/pics/1239467999PQWLDVf.jpg

By the way, Enrique of Enrique's Unique Dives was very understanding and flexible in dealing with the weather. He helped us set up the snorkel trip to El Farito at a moment's notice.

It looks like Coyopa's (sorry I misspelled it the first time) is on the corner of Hidalgo and Madero streets:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150810-d1…

I will post a review separately on Privileges Aluxes soon. The Reader's Digest Condensed Version is "I'm finished." Some of the staff members were really helpful and enjoyable, and for their sake, I hope the others get with the program.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 23:10
Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

When I tried to view your flying gurnard photo, the link said it had expired. So I typed those words into Google Image. Wow ! I've never seen a fish like that !

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

Just wondering, did the Super Saver Room have a view or balcony?

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

There was no balcony. The view was the ocean and Lopez Mateo street; it looked like maybe a schoolyard and some rubble on the opposite side of the street. I forgot to mention that the window leaked a good deal of water onto our clothes and the ceiling was leaking and plaster fell out of it outside our door. On the positive side, we could see from the window how still the ocean was near the lighthouse, El Farito, and that tipped us off that it would be a good time for snorkeling.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

Sounds like your room was the equivalent of what Ixchel Beach calls a "standard room" or what I've seen billed as a "studio" at other condo resorts; these rooms are typically added on to another room as an extra bedroom to form a suite. Was your room configured in a way that would allow it to be linked to a room next door?

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

Yes, it was configured to be linked to an adjacent room. Seriously, it was smaller than a college dorm room. Our friends booked the cheapest possible room at Ixchel Beach Hotel and it was 2-3 times bigger than ours. Maybe they stole our luck!

8. Re: Trip Report 7/23/10- 7/27/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 06:19