We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children at Privilege Aluxes

Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Children at Privilege Aluxes

We are thinking of taking our 2 year old to Isla in November and were wondering if Privilege Aluxes is a (relatively) kid-friendly place to bring her. I know that there's no kids' club or anything like that (which is fine), but I just wanted to make sure that this hotel isn't super adult-oriented -- I don't want her to be a nuisance to other guests. Also, would she be able to eat at the restaurants at PA?

Thanks for your feedback!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

There's nothing preventing a guest from bringing a child, but there really is *nothing* child friendly about the hotel. The decor is very sleek, modern and minimal, and it seemed to attract solely couples when we were there. The atmosphere is very quiet. I think they allow children just in case someone books a wedding and wants to invite family. You'd probably be better off at the Occidental Grand-- friends of ours with kids stay there every year.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,289 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

Isla is a great place to bring your kids - the locals love kids and she would be welcome at all the restaurants I can think of. But I would pick a more kid friendly place, like the Posada del Mar or one of the condos on the north shore. :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

I agree with coalminer, I think there are accommodations better suited to children than PA. The Posada as she mentioned, Nautibeach Condos and Ixchel condos (both on Playa Norte) are all much more child friendly, IMO.

Isla is not a "resort" type place, Privilege Aluxes and the Palace are the only hotels that even can remotely be called resorts, and they are nothing like the bigger resorts in Cancun. And that is exactly why many of us love Isla :-)!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

Ixchel is perfect for kids! I'd get a ground floor room, the patio opens to their beautiful pool (bring a float toy, half the pool is shallow for playing). Ixchel will give you a little more room to spread out and relax with lots of nice amenities! There is a great restaurant on site for room service, beach-side or poolside dinning, the beach in front is shallow and perfect for building sand castles and playing, etc. Have Fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

Oops!!! My earlier reply has some inaccurate information. My friends with children stay at the Occidental Grand on *Cozumel*-- not Isla Mujeres. Sorry about that.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

We stayed at Privilege Aluxes and did notice a few parents that had kids there. I believe this was due to the wedding parties. This place is geared more towards couples and relaxation its not a kids friendly atmosphere. Although it does not say adults only It is more suitable for couples looking for a romantic atmosphere.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

No reason why you wouldn't do fine with a 2-year-old at PA. We saw some families with kids when we stayed there. There isn't any kind of kids' program, but a 2-year-old is too young for that anyway, and I'm not aware of any kids' programs anywhere else on the island. The front desk can provide a babysitter if you are so inclined.

However I would agree with the people who recommend a condo, so you can be more flexible about preparing and eating meals in the room. (Just about every restaurant will do carry-out.)

greenbay,wi.
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

I thought I read a post that said as of Sept. 1st it was going to be a couples or adult only.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

I believe it is Isla Mujeres Palace that is changing over to couples only, not PA

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Children at Privilege Aluxes

Yes, it is the Palace, not Privilege Aluxes.