We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best arrival method from Royal Sands in Cancun

Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best arrival method from Royal Sands in Cancun

Please advixe the best method of getting to Isla Mujeres. We use the local buses when in Mexico. Would it be better to go later in the afternoon to dine there for sunset. If yes what area should we depart from? Do we have to depart from the same location we arrive at? Is it better to get 1 way fare or roundtrip. Any ideas of Golf Cart rentals. How much gas would we use for the day? We would do a lot of stop and go at different places. Thank you so much for your help!! Also any special days better than others? We have Sat. to Sat. rooms and Tues. and Thur. for tours.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best arrival method from Royal Sands in Cancun

I would go and spend a whole day on Isla - really. First, get a map from the mapchick - www.cancunmap.com.

Not sure where the Royal Sands is, but you can taxi to Gran Puerto and take the ferry, buying RT tickets. If you arrive early in the day, rent a golf cart (no need to worry about gas) and tour the island (using your map) and then plan to be on Playa Norte (north beach or near there) by sunset. Have a leisurely dinner and then take the ferry back. It will be a wonderful day! :)

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best arrival method from Royal Sands in Cancun

I think the last time I stayed at VCI (Vacation Club International,part of the Royal group) we were able to catch a bus straight to Puerto Juarez to catch the ferry across to Isla Mujeres. Check with your front desk at the Sands. They'll be able to tell you which bus to look for. It will be much cheaper than taking a taxi since the Sands is Mid to South in the Hotel Zone. The golf carts come gassed up and it's unlikely you'll need to add any gasoline. Last time we were on Isla we had a cart for 5 days and never needed to refill the tank.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,350 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best arrival method from Royal Sands in Cancun

Once you're at your hotel they can better advise whether you are better off taking the ferry from PJ, or from one of the docks in the hotel zone of Cancun. Regardless, you might as well get round trip tickets.

Golf carts cost around 180 pesos per hour (14 dollars) and 500 pesos for 9 - 5 (38 dollars). An hour is enough to just make a tour of the island using the main road, but not if you want to go "off the beaten path" and see everything, including some of the interesting sights. So if you want to spend some time exploring I would come earlier than late afternoon. Also keep in mind that rental places close at 5:00 so your cart is due back by then. I would recommend you come for most of the day, that way you have plenty of time for shopping, taking a leisurely golf cart tour, seeing the sights, and hanging out on Playa Norte :)

Weekend are busier because people who live on the mainland come for the beaches, restaurants, etc. So it's probably more enjoyable during the week, especially riding around in a golf cart.

4. Re: Best arrival method from Royal Sands in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 06:45