We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contoy Island

Ramsey, MN
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Contoy Island

I've searched the forum but would still like some information on this. Can someone give me opionion please?

-Is this an excursion you have to do as a tour or can you do on your own?

-Is this area mainly for bird watching? Or do you snorkel, etc. there as well?

-Cost?

I am looking at building out our options for things to do on our first trip to Isla Jan 26-Feb 4 and this is one that has popped up on my radar.

Thank you!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,286 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Contoy Island

I have been to Isla Contoy twice and was one of the highlights of my vacation. I have only been with Capt. Tony, so I can't compare to others that provide the services to go there.

Not sure how you can do this on your own unless you have your own boat - it takes an hour or two just to get to the island.

Isla Contoy is a national park and so yes, there are migrating/nesting birds to see. You can snorkel right there and most tour boats stop at the reef along the way to Contoy, which is wonderful.

Usually, it is a full day trip - leaving Isla round 9am and returning around 4pm. I think Tony charges around $55usd and that includes your lunch, snack, etc. Tonly only goes when the weather is good - and if you want to see what it is like to go to Contoy, check out the Hogfamily's recent photo trip reports here that show their trip to Contoy. :)

Edited: 30 September 2010, 17:23
Mentioned in this post
Isla Contoy
Isla Contoy
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Contoy Island

Tony needs 6 people minimum to make the trip so no, you won't be going on your own.

Ramsey, MN
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Contoy Island

I tried to search for more information on this and kept coming across a shark tour and not just the Contoy information.

Coalminer, glad to hear this was a highlight. The fact that you've gone twice is saying alot too. I will look at Hogfamily's trip reports again - I know I've already jotted some notes from both that review and DMartin.

Traveler, by on our own I meant whether it's an area we could get to by foot, without doing a tour. I also didn't realize it was an island and now knowing that my question probably seemed a little silly. :)

Thanks for the responses, this will be one excursion that will say on our list!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,286 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Contoy Island

I should have posted this as well - a website about Isla Contoy.

http://islacontoy.org/

They you can see what is all there. :)

Mentioned in this post
Isla Contoy
Isla Contoy
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Contoy Island

MissDee, here are some reviews of Contoy trip. Some positive, some less so, but overall should give you a good idea of what to expect. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150810-d5…

Ramsey, MN
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Contoy Island

Great - thank you!

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Contoy Island

Contoy with Capt. Tony is a fun day and we will do it again. Great food too! The 90 minute each way ride can be an adventure in intself but you will be in very good hands with Tony.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Contoy Island

My advice would be to go only on a day when the wind is quite calm. When we went, the open water was rough and made for a long and VERY uncomfortable boat ride to and from. Additionally, the rough water meant that we couldn't stop for the advertised snorkeling on the reef along the way. If we had known what it was going to be like, we wouldn't have gone.

Ramsey, MN
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Contoy Island

That's great advice - thank you!

Where do you go to book this excursion?

new york
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Contoy Island

Best way is to stop by Captain Tony's house on Calle Matamoros #7A. All other contact info is:

Tel: (011) (52) (998) 877- 0229

E-Mail: capitantonys@hotmail.com

He is also on Facebook :)