We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks in April?

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks in April?

We are going to be on Isla Mujeres mid/late April for 2 weeks. Is there any chance of seeing or swimming with whale sharks at this time?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks in April?

Unlikely. The season starts in June. Google

whale shark isla mujeres

to find tour companies and see what they say about the season (start date).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks in April?

Unfortunately, it's actually illegal outside of the regulated season that usually runs mid/end of June into September.

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks in April?

Oh wow, I had no idea. Is it illegal to view them or just swim with them?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Sharks in April?

Well, they're migatory. They are not even in the area outside of season and they are protected I believe during their mating and calving seasons. :)

US
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Sharks in April?

Whale Shark Tours start in June. I don't think they are even in the area until around then anyway. But if they were around before then it would definitely be illegal for any boats to go into their area. They are very protected and even during the season, the boats can only go into the "whale shark waters" during certain times of the day. (I believe they have to be out of the waters by 3 or 4pm)

I'm sorry but your chances of seeing whale sharks in April are 0.... plan a trip for July, you'll definitely have a chance then!

6. Re: Whale Sharks in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 05:16