We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

My husband and I are booked at Sun Palace because it is adults only but now that Isla Palace is adults only, we are wondering if we should switch? Kayaking is a must and if the beach is swimmable at IMP, that would be fabulous!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

The two hotels are very different, the Isla Mujeres Palace has 62 rooms where the Sun Palace has over 200. If kayaking is a must, I would say Isla Mujeres Palace is where you want to be.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

But is the beach swimmable? I have read somewhere that it is not.....we are not pool people at all. We stayed at Privilege Aluxes last year and loved Isla but not the hotel at all. Although kayaking was advertised, there was absolutely none available which really but a damper on our trip. I love to swim and need a nice swimmable beach.

Thanks mapchick! Love my map! Came in soooooooo handy last year when we were navigating the Island!!!!

oceangirl

xoxoxoxoxo

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

I have not stayed there, but I'm not sure why the beach would be considered not swimmable?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

The beach is swimmable but some people have complained about seagrass.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

The beach was absolutely beautiful when we walked around the corner from PA....I believe there was a hotel by the name of Avalon there.....altho I could be mistaken about that...it was gorgeous! Nice big waves and clear turquoise water...much nicer than the beach in front of PA!

But I never went far enough down to see the beach at Isla Palace...

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting you right so I could be wrong :) Anyway, if you were implying that Palace resort is walking distance to PA and around Playa Norte and Avalon, it isn't. It's approximately mid-island, and right by the traffic circle at Mundaca. So its beach is different from Playa Norte. You would need transportation to Centro if you are staying there. If I misunderstood your post, just ignore this, lol.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

I wouldn't ignore you ny... : )

I think I could have been more clear. I don't think that IMP is close to PA at all. but what I am saying is there was a lovely beach right around the corner from PA that had clear turquoise water with big waves. There were several hotels on the beach but not sure of their names but I believe one was called Avalon.

I don't think the IMP has a very nice beach from the sounds of it but I do realize it is not close to PA.

Isla was charming but PA was not and we would not return. It seemed out of character for the island and it seems there are better choices. JMO.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

Ok, I thought I may have misunderstood you :) Yes, Avalon was the one you are referring to. On its own little "island" linked by a bridge to Playa Norte. The others are Nautibeach, Ixchel, Cabanas del Mar, and Na Balam. I think the beach is nice at the Palace, just small and according to some people, has seagrass. Are you going to switch or stay with Sun Palace?

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

Not sure yet. Trying to decide.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayaking at swimmable beach: Isla Palace or Sun Palace?

"Isla was charming but PA was not and we would not return. It seemed out of character for the island and it seems there are better choices."

Oceangirl I am so glad to see you say that!!! Perhaps by that comment people just might understand why those of us who have been going to Isla for many years find it obtrusive and not fitting to the ambiance of the island.