We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
42 reviews
First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

Hi there, I am considering Isla Mujeres as a destination for my first solo trip in January 2011. I'm looking for relaxation and some fun exploring the island. I love the beach as well. I do have a few questions though....

1. It seems pretty safe for female travellers. Is that true?

2. Can I get around okay with little knowledge of Spanish? (Especially from Cancun airport?)

3. I'm thinking of spending a week there, is that too long?

4. Can anyone suggest a good hotel? I see the PA is very reasonable for January travel but don't really want that resort feel.

Thanks!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

Isla is very safe, and you will feel very comfortable there as a solo traveler. You will be perfectly fine getting around with limited Spanish, although you'll find that even making the effort to speak a few words will be much appreciated :)

Check the Top Questions in the upper right hand corner, specifically the Getting to Isla from the Airport one. It lists many options, ranging from pre-arranged transfers (recommended) to budget bus travel. We always use USA Transfer though others like Best Day also. Links to both are listed in the Top Question. Driver will meet you coming out of airport and take you to the ferry. Typically they speak some English so there's no problem there.

Whether a week is long enough or too long is very subjective. You'll find that most of us on this forum consider it way too short :) If you are happy just relaxing, eating good food, tooling around in a golf cart and don't need nonstop activities to be entertained, then a week is just fine.

Privilege Aluxes is very nice, and not really what I would consider a "resort" in the sense of those large all-inclusives found in Cancun and the Maya Riviera. But there are others that you should check out such as Nautibeach Condos, Ixchel Condos, and smaller, more boutique-like places such as Casa Sirena.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
157 posts
2. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

as it happens, i am going to IM tomorrow - i'm a single female traveler as well. i've been speaking with people on tripadvisor who have assured me that it is safe. i'll be back on the 18th so i'll report back. staying at PA but not doing the all inclusive - so plan on eating out every night. can't wait!!!!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

I have not traveled solo to Isla Mujeres, but having been there multiple times, I wouldn't think twice about making the trip alone. Take a look at PA, and if that looks too much on the resort side for you, consider Posada del Mar. It is an older facility, but two new sections have been added to give it also an updated feel. I personally like the old section with a deck and view of the ocean. The pool area is nice, and the bar with Romy behind it is very welcoming to newbies. It's a good place for first-timers to stay as it is close to everything as you get to know the island, and the beach is a great place to spend the day.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

I have been to IM many times. Once by myself. I will be there by myself in Jan. also. Would love to meet you for a meal or drink. Send me a PM. It is very safe and there is a lot to do from relaxation to sight seeing to shopping and snorkeling.

Hanover, PA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

Come on over to the Jan roll call.We will be there 15-22 at PA

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

About 2/3 of the times I've visited Isla, I have been solo and I always felt safe and had a wonderful time! Like those who've posted before me, a bit of Spanish is really appreciated, but you do not need to be fluent. I've always used Best Day to get to and from the airport (www.bestday.com) and have never been disapointed by them. I've stayed several places, but so far Bucaneros is holding down first place for being an ideal location. They're centrally located to where the action is in the evening, and just a short walk to the beach, not very spendy, and very friendly staff. Hope this helps!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,058 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

Yep - I wouldn't hesitate to go to Isla solo, though I think I would choose one of the smaller hotels for a more personal experience . . . I know that Kathryn of Kathryn's travels recommend Bucaneros for the female solo traveler, though Posada del Mar would work as well . . . there are severa that could work well for you - just depends on your budget and amenities you prefer. You might contact Kathryn for her other recommendations. I would also recommend you getting a map of Isla from the mapchick - www.cancunmap.com. Get ready for a great trip! :)

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
594 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

I've been going to Isla solo for 23 years and have stayed at many places. Posada Del Mar is the best place to stay initially IMHO until you get familiar with the area.

Definitely rent a golf cart and stop off at places you may want to return to. It's the best way to find what you really want Have fun!

Edited: 13 December 2010, 18:58
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

I just came back from there 4 weeks ago and saw quite a few single female travelers that seemed to be very comfortable. Although I haven't been to IM many times Ixchel is very nice and the beach is gorgeous. I haven't been home long and I'm about to book another trip down there (solo this time) from the 23rd until the 6th. Just my two cents but hope it helps - have a good trip and make sure you stop by and see the turtle farm!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
247 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: First Time Female Solo Traveller - Considering Isla Mujeres

Very safe and PA is a very nice hotel with a great location. Recommend highly USA Transfers for transportation between the Cancun airport and the ferry to Isla. Very, very dependable!