We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
astoria, ny
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

I know there has been other posts on this subject but we will be travelling with our girls ages 9 & 12. We like to snorkel off the beach, do some adventurous activities and also relax on the beach. We usually go to Isla Mujeres and Akumal every year but are looking for something new. I am thinking of Belize, Costa Rica, Isla Holbox, etc... for our vacation in July. Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.

Tina

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

Vieques!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

astoria, ny
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

I just read an article on Vieques and am intrigued! How do we get there, best place to stay? Etc... More info please!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

ambergris caye or caye caulker in belize. roatan in honduras.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

San Andres or Providencia Islands - Colombia

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

Vieques is amazing and a lot easier to reach than many others, especially with two young kids. You have three ways to get there. One is from San Juan international airport, the other is from the much smaller Isla Grande airport (what we took because it's a lot cheaper), or take the ferry from Fajardo (long, and not really saving a lot since you'll need transportation there and back from San Juan). Beautiful beaches, long stretches of road where aside from wild horses you're the only traveler, very laid back and relaxed. Not a single traffic light or stop sign (or at least there weren't any two years ago when we were there.) It is however much more expensive than Isla, both in accommodations and food/drink prices.

6. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 23:14
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

hectors by the sea.....awesome place to stay wonderful owners!!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

The north shore of Kauai - gorgeous and perfect to visit during the summer. :)

chattanooga tn
Level Contributor
150 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

I agree Vieques and do fly from San Juan we made the mistake of taking the ferry thinking it would be like Isla-wrong! Beautiful beaches we chose a different one each day but as New York Traveler says was alot more expensive-glad we went but now it's back to Isla which happens every time we get the bug and try something different.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other places to vacation if you love Isla Mujeres

I really loved the convenience of getting to Vieques and its unspoiled, laid-back atmosphere. The beaches were absolutely stunning and exploring the island in our jeep was one of the best experiences ever. We stayed at Hacienda Tamarindo and I didn't want to leave. If it weren't so expensive I'd go every year :)