We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip Cancun

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip Cancun

Hi All,

We are thinking of taking a day trip to Cancun or vicinity. Has anyone done this? Is it worth missing a day on Isla? We will have 5 full days starting 2/20. We like to do just about anything, shop, snorkel, eat, drink, sightsee, etc. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip Cancun

LOL, it's usually the other way around :) IMO, unless you miss shopping in a U.S. style mall, there's really not much reason to go to Cancun for the day. The downtown area is a traffic-snarled mess, and the hotel zone is nothing but one mega resort after another. So really, for me it's not worth it but maybe I'm missing something.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip Cancun

I was thinking maybe Ya Kul lagoon, would that be worth it?

And, no, I'm not crazy about shopping malls, traffic, or anything else Cancun represents. I'm not that familiar with Cancun so I thought it was worth at least asking. We will most likely end up just staying on the island.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
748 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip Cancun

Ya Kul lagoon is probably 1 to 1.5 hours south of Cancun. I would suggest spending time there if you're going all the way to Tulum to see the ruins. There's likely more information on the Playa del Carmen or Tulum forums.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip Cancun

Yes, Akumal is way too far for a day trip but if you get a chance to visit there, it's definitely worth it. And of course it's worth asking; besides, others may have some good suggestions about things to see and do in Cancun. For me there's no reason to go but that doesn't mean everyone would agree :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrip Cancun

Only 5 days? No reason to leave IM! If your trip was longer there are mainland attractions worth going to (not Cancun) but with only 5 days I say stay put :).

You will see Cancun going from the airport to the ferry, that is always enough for us, LOL! i

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrip Cancun

We go to Isla Mujeres for 2+ weeks every year. Prior to each trip we agree that we should get off the island and do a little exploring. This is year 5 and we have never left the island once we arrive. However, we spent several years at Playa del Carmen and saw most of the sights back then.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 13:01
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrip Cancun

Justus:

As for visiting Cancun itself, you are asking a group of people who are attracted to a place that is about as un-Cancun as they come. The Cancun forum members would probably tell you to come on over.

There are other places on the mainland very worthy of visiting, but a lot of it depends on how much time you have and what you've already seen. For people like Harley who have 2+ weeks to work with, I would be much more likely to recommend day trips. Some people here have reported doing Chichen Itza as a day trip--it's a haul (3-4 hours each way) and makes for a very long day, but if you've never seen it and don't plan to be back in the area any time soon, it would make more sense. But in your case, with only 5 days, you'll find there is plenty to do on Isla. And one of those "things to do" is something we don't often get the chance to do--nothing.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytrip Cancun

Lots to do on the Mainland, but avoid Cancun like the plegue. It is only malls, overated restaurants/bars, resorts, and the downtown area isnt what it used to be. Not sure if they have that open market (flea market style).

If you do go to the mainland, head to the PDC area. (but with only 5 days, not something you really need to do.)

Enjoy the island, and if you want to get off island, there is Holobox or a few other little islands for adventure like Isla Contoy. (I am not familiar with them all, soI cant name them off the top of my head)

Enjoy

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytrip Cancun

Isla Contoy is great idea, Newkie! Wonderful day trip with snorkeling right from Isla, with Captain Tony, a popular and well-respected guide. You get to each lunch on Contoy consisting fish he caught along the way or chicken and guac, and it's a nice way to see something different, and get some snorkeling in. Typcial day is 8:30 - 3:30 give or take :)

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daytrip Cancun

I wasn't necessarily referring to Cancun, I should have said surrounding areas since I'm really not interested in Cancun at all. I have been to Tulum before and of course it was amazing. I'm thinking Contoy Island might be a fun trip. We will have most of the day on the 2/19 and then we leave late on 2/25. Thanks for all the input! I've been reading the forums a lot and feel like I know the island by heart already.