We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much those cheap beach towels are at the market? We are staying at Nautibeach in Isla Casita and beach towels are washed every 4-5 days. We are hoping that we can pick up some cheap/thin beach towels to help us make it longer! Any advice on where to get them and price would be great!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

I don't know the cost of towels, but there are many laundrias on Isla. I used the one on Lopez Mateo by Guerreo. You laundry is done in a few hours. It was reasonable. Somewhere around 10 pesos per kilo with a four kilo minimum. That way you are not bringing home a bunch of cheap towels you don't need

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

I actually wouldn't mind the cheap towels for the pool at home. I just don't want to have to go the laundromat every day:)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,666 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

We bought two on Hidalgo (don't remember which shop) just to have as a keepsake when on the beach at home. I think they were 130 pesos each. We could have probably bargained but I hate haggling and besides, I liked them. They're pretty thin but then that's good because they dry fast :)

US
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

There is a small mercado in town, where you can probably find a better price for beach towels. Hidalgo is the main road and the prices (although inflated everywhere) are a bit higher there because it gets more foot traffic.

On a different note, I know some people who stayed where you are staying and they tell me that the towels were replaced every 3 days.. (I asked because every 5 days sounded like too long of a time to go without fresh towels!)

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

I misread how long between changes! We are staying 10 days and the towels will be changed twice during that period. Much better, but I'd still love to have an extra set of towels. I was hoping they'd be a few dollars a piece-I know they have them super cheap on most islands, but maybe they are more in Mexico. If anyone else knows of a cheap place, I'd love to hear about it! If they are $10 each, I'll likely be toting some from home!

USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

I thought you got "new" beach/pool towels every day at Nautibeach??? No?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

Just hand in your old towel to the women who do the laundry and ask for a new one. You shouldn't have any problems with that.

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

We are renting Isla Casita which is not in the rental pool.

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

Try the stalls just in front of market place...$10/$12 have seen them there in the past. The same family sells along the sand road leading toNautibeach. Also along Medina on south side there is a little mall with 8 or 10 shops in it. Can't remember exact location(maybe across from Pentex gas station) Just retail fronts then a wide sidewalk that goes back into bldg. with shops on both sides. Found some of the best prices on Island there. Good Luck!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
670 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Beach Towels on Isla?

I bought an inexpensive bath towel at the Super Xpress last April. I believe it was 55 pesos.