We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

They both look good and have good ratings. We will be 6 people, 2 grandparents, 2 parents, and 2 girls age 9 & 6 and we will get two units. Main interest is pool, beach, general relaxing and a day trip to Chichen Itza.

So, between the two, which would you choose?

Thanks,

Jim

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Both are great properties. One question though - are the grandparents in good shape? Nautibeach is 3 stories, with no stairs, and unless things have changed they don't guarantee a specific room when you make your reservation.

If the stairs would be an issue, then Ixchel would be better since they have elevators.

Both are on a great stretch of beach and close to all the restaurants in town.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Both have beautiful pools and since they’re next door to each other, the beach is pretty much the same. Both have kitchenettes so if a bit of housekeeping is needed, you can do it at both. Main advantage to Ixchel is that the two bedroom units have two bathrooms. The Nautibeach condos only have one bath, so for four people (you and your children) having the extra bath may be nice.

Other than that, the main difference comes down to appearance and preference. Ixchel is sleek, modern, and more up-to-date as it is newer. Nautibeach on the other hand has that tropical vibe going, with beautifully landscaped grounds, etc. Ixchel is a bit stark for my liking and there really isn’t any “grounds” to speak of, so if it were just me and my husband, I'd go with Nautibeach. But with two kids along, I'd like the extra bathroom.

So if you’re going for tropical charm, go with Nautibeach; if you want more modern and the convenience of an extra bathroom, pick Ixchel. You’ll be happy at both as they’re each wonderful in their own way :)

ct
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

I have no idea where I read this (maybe in reviews here?), but we were debating between Nautibeach and Ixchel and decided on Nautibeach because some people were complaining about a club next to or behind Ixchel that had opened up and said it was really loud at night. I don't know if anyone here can confirm or not...I'm sure it also depends where your room is too.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

That "club" was Chimbo's (next to Ixchel) and while they still have a beach bar they no longer play music into the night hours. The loud music has not been a problem for quite some time now :).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

If you get an oceanfront suite at Ixchel, the balcony is larger than some rooms I've stayed in. And yes, the Chimbo's problem was resolved last summer.

You have to be in shape for Nautibeach because they have 3 floors and no stairs? What do they have, a rope? LOL. I think you mean no elevator, right?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Nautibeach is a great property, we really enjoyed our stay there. I would not like to stay in a high rise with an elevator on Isla. But some do.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Ixchel has heated pools which are really nice depending upon when you come to visit!

ct
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Well if there aren't stairs at Nautibeach, I guess I should be really grateful that we have a first floor room:)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

I've never stayed at either, but, my choice would be Nautibeach. Looks like it belongs on Isla.

Ixchel is an ugly, white box. After being away from Isla a few years, I about cried when I first saw it. (that was before PA was built). I'm sure the units are lovely, but it looks so out of place......

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which would you choose, Ixchel or Nautibeach

Jean:

Have you been back since Privilege Aluxes opened? It's much larger than Ixchel Beach and because of where it's located almost blocks the view of Ixchel as you arrive on the ferry. PA has deflected much of the sentiment you expressed away from Ixchel Beach. I know that long-time visitors are unhappy with some of the newer developments on the island. But if you go back far enough, many lament that there are even paved roads.

This kind of development is a two-edged sword that I'm sure you've also experienced on Ambergris Cay. The local economy needs the tourism, and modern, comfortable accommodations help draw the tourism. Both PA and Ixchel Beach remain two of the highest rated hotels. I stayed at Ixchel Beach myself and loved it. While it may be a white box from the ferry side, I thought it was quite attractive (in a modern sense, of course) from the Playa Norte side.