We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Our flights were on time and after an uneventful van ride from USA Transfers, we arrived at Puerto Juarez. Our daughters (ages 7 and 10) were starving, so embarrassing enough, our first purchase in Mexico was lunch from McDonalds at the ferry terminal. We caught the 12:30pm ferry and this being our first time traveling to Isla, spent the time enjoying and wondering at the many colors of the water, especially as it changed color with the sun and clouds.

We had a tricycle porter bring our bags to Nautibeach Condos, which was definitely worth the small price (gave him 12 pesos a bag). It would have been quite a hike with 4 large rolling suitcases, 2 rolling carry-on bags, and 2 hot and tired kids. However, when we went to the front desk at Nautibeach, we had an unpleasant surprise. We had booked our trip though Orbitz.com, since it was less expensive than booking the airfare and rooms separately. On the Nautibeach website, it states to email them in advance if we’d be arriving before their normal 3pm check-in time so that they could try to have our room ready in advance. I kept meaning to do this the week before we left, but didn’t finally send an email until the day before leaving for our trip. Luckily, I had sent an email because when we arrived, the person at the front desk said that my email was the first they’d heard about our reservation, and in addition to that, they were at full capacity. Not exactly something you want to hear when arriving for a family vacation. He said that they had a room they could put us in for that night, and that the manager was on the phone with Orbitz and would come by to speak with us shortly.

Before I had the time to call Orbitz to see what was going on, the manager, Joaquin, came by try to explain what had happened. He said that Oribitz’s reservation “system” is to send an email to the hotel’s reservation manager when a customer makes a reservation and Orbitz provides a credit card number for the hotel to bill the charge back to Orbitz. He said that Nautibeach never received an email from Orbitz regarding our reservation, and Orbitz should have realized that since Nautibeach never charged our reservation back to Orbitz (our reservation was made with Orbitz in December, 2010). He said that they had one room available for only that night, but that they were full to capacity for the rest of our trip. He had been on the phone with Orbitz for several hours already that day after seeing my email from the day before and that the only solution Orbitz was offering was to refund my money for the hotel portion of the trip. He said that he was working on finding us other accommodations close by and would know more by later that afternoon.

I was fairly upset at this point, so I called Orbitz to get their story and see what they could do for us. However, after calling Orbitz and listening to them blame the hotel for the problem for several minutes, I said in as polite of tone as I could muster, “At this point, I don’t really care whose fault this is. I booked my trip through Orbitz. I’ve arrived with my family here, and after tonight, we might not have anywhere else to stay for the rest of the week. I am a very unhappy Orbitz customer. What can you do for me?” And to my disbelief, their only solution offered was to refund our money for the hotel portion of our trip. When I asked, “How does that help me find a place to stay for the rest of our trip?” the Orbitz rep didn’t have an answer. It was only after I asked “You’re a travel company, can’t you check to see if any other hotels on the island have vacancies?” that the rep bothered to look at other hotels on the island and said that he could book us at Hotel Bahia Chac Chi for a lower price than what we’d paid, which while it had pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor, was not even close to what we had booked originally, which was a 2 bedroom condo on Playa Norte. I asked if that was my only option, other than a refund, and the Orbitz rep said that it was. Pissed off at Orbitz, but at least aware that we had another lodging option, I told him that the manager was looking into lodging options for us and that I’d get back to them.

Luckily, Joaquin came back shortly and said that he’d been able to book us a Suite Deluxe room at Privileges Aluxes, just around the corner for the next night through the end of our stay, with a king bed for us, and a roll-away bed and couch for our daughters, breakfast included. He also said that we were welcome to use the pool and beach chairs at Nautibeach during our stay. This definitely helped to de-stress us, as we’d read a lot of good things about PA on TripAdvisor, but also just to know for sure that we had somewhere to stay. After that, it really felt like our vacation began and we changed into swim suits and headed down to the beach.

For families with younger kids, Nautibeach seems like an ideal place. The pool is probably only 50-60 feet from the ocean and our kids would go back and forth between the pool and the beach for hours, playing. Then, your room is a very short walk away if you want to head back for anything. Our room for the night at Nautibeach was definitely dated, but having separate bedrooms and a kitchen was nice. I also liked that each room in the condo, as well as the veranda, had a ceiling fan. Another plus was that each room had a 5 gallon jug of purified water. There were lots of families staying there, so our kids found several playmates, which was good because they tend to have a hard time playing together for more than an hour or two at a time without fighting and it’s not fun to be the referee.

For dinner, we walked down to Brisas Grill on Medina, getting a table in the sand, and watched our first sunset on Isla. The guacamole, grilled grouper, and coconut shrimp were all very good and the sunset was beautiful. After sunset, they had a band playing, so we stayed to listen for a while, then walked to Frese for gelato and I discovered a new favorite treat, coconut gelato. This started a nightly routine for us, where we’d either eat dinner at a restaurant with a sunset view or else we’d go out for drinks and chips to watch sunset, then go to dinner, and then gelato. I think I put on at least 2-3 gelato-induced pounds over the course of the week.

I'll get the trip report up for the rest of our trip later this week, which should be less verbose.

Some tips I'd recommend after our trip:

– Always call or email the hotel far in advance of your trip to confirm your reservation, especially if you didn’t book with the hotel directly. Don’t rely solely on Orbitz or any other booking agency without confirming with the hotel as well. Even better, don’t book with Orbitz. I know I won’t again.

– If you don’t have international roaming on your cell phone plan, a good cheap option is an AT&T Go Phone prepaid phone. We bought a refurbished Nokia phone for $7 from AT&T’s website and a $25 calling card, so for a total of $32, we got a phone and roughly 100 minutes of calls from Mexico to the US ($0.25/minute).

Edited: 29 March 2011, 13:06
Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Rough start of your vacation, but it sounds like things are looking up. Looking forward to reading reports from your other days.

Thanks!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Thank you for the trip report, it's really so nice when people get back to us with their experiences. Sorry for the awful mix up with Orbitz and Nautibeach but glad it all worked out for the best and you find a nice place to say. Bahia Chac Chi just would not have been comparable IMO, no matter how cute and clean it is. It's on a noisy main thorough fare and a hike to the beaches. The pool is tiny and in the shade. No way would I consider it in the same league as Nautibeach or PA. Can't wait for the next installement :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,120 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Wow--sorry about that stressful beginning. I've used Orbitz before with no problems. I'm wondering what kind of confirmation you received from Orbitz when booking? As their customer, once they confirm your reservations it is up to them to provide them. The hotel is their vendor at that point. I'm also hoping this story has the happy ending that you were happy at PA and didn't have to pay one nickel more. Sounds to me like the manager at Nautibeach should be commended.

Looking forward to the rest of the story ... especially the food!

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

So sorry that your vacation had to begin that way but glad it seemed to work out in the end. It does sound like Nautibeach did a great job and I guess I'd think twice before every using orbitz.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

rough start, but got better :)

I am impressed with Joaquin at Nautibeach

Can't wait to hear more !

Arkansas
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Good info. Can you explain a little more about your phone? Why did it have to be a Go Phone? Any other info about the card or calling out? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,120 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

We have AT&T and simply add their Mexico plan, which we cancel when we get home. Costs us a total of about $10-$15 for the week, depending on how many calls we make.

Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Joaquin at Nautibeach is to be commended....hope the rest of the stay went well.

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
321 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Kudos to Jauquin and Nautibeach! I have to admit that I stay at Nautibeach all the time with our family and its great to see that the service extend to new guests too.

Looking forward to the next installment!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,771 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 1 (long) trip report for Mar 17-24 including Orbitz rant

Barreg, any hope of hearing about the rest of your trip? Would love to know how the rest of your vacation went :)