We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

I feel guilty for posting a Mini vacation report, but do have a couple of new thoughts to share to the forum.

We stayed at Villa Rolandi Thursday- Sunday. Had some miscommunication at the airport as to who was picking us up (I didn't get my name on the sign with the driver to identify himself - boo.) A van delivered us to Playa Linda where we waited an hour for the Cocoon to pick us up. It got MUCH better after that. 25 minute ride to Isla to be dropped off at Hotel's private Dock. We were greeted by the famous "Victor", a lovely young man who explained the overall lay of the land to us, with mimosas. What he didn't tell us was the dining options. We could not check in until 3:00. Looking for dining options, we ate at Casa Rolandi for lunch. It was VERY expensive and not really our kind of lunch food. After the fact, we found that we could have eaten from the pool menu with a lot of good choices.

The junior suite was perfect. I don't believe anyone has talked about how cool the bathroom is! The shower is a enclosed mutli-showerhead steam bath. I took tremendous silly joy messing with my husband when he took a shower. The controls for steam are on the outside of the shower room... He would take a shower and suddenly steam would roll into the stall with him. The bed is hard, and short - I'm 5' 7 and my feet hung off the bottom. . My huge complaint - no top sheet. Only a fluffy duvet that was HOT at night.

Our meals- Da Luisa...Beautiful patio over looking the option. Grilled Lobster and Grilled tuna. Unfortunately - there was NO one there besides us. Not tooexpensive - $70 US with drinks

Sunset Grill - LOVELY - saw the best Sunset ever. Sat on the beach and watched the evening roll in. My husband claimed best grilled fish he's ever had. We had a stupid tourist moment. Had the guard at the parking lot call a cab for us - If we would have walked into the heart of town, which we discovered the NEXT night - cabs are plentiful. Dinner also around $70

The best find for dinner - Olivia's ... On a little side street in the center of town. Entrees are $10 - $15 and fabulous. Two seatings 6:30 and 8:30 and reservations are highly recommended. Service and food - outstanding!

The biggest new thing we found...the snorkeling at Isla is UNBELIEVABLE. We're pretty much snorkeled every island in the caribean (including Caymans, T & C, and St. Martin) Pablo was our guide. We took a 5 minute boat ride from our hotel, off the coast of Isla. We drift snorkeled along a wall and saw lots of fish, including a school of 8 baraccuda. Got back in the boat, motored another 5 minute to the lighthouse area and jumped into a virtual fishbowl. I never seen as many fish on our travels. Angel Fish, sargeant majors, grouper, parrot fish, squid,(and two holy cow are they big barracuda) . Mexico is making a concerted effort to rebuild the reefs. There are beehive structures sunk at the bottom of the 15-20 ft sea to bring the fish back. Boy does it work!

We had a wonderful long weekend at Villa Rolandi - Beach was small, but pretty, staff was friendly, beers were cold!

Chester, Maryland
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Enjoyed reading your trip report. We are staying at Villa Rolandi 4/26 - 5/1. Did someone from VR pick you up at the airport, or did you have other arrangements? How was the pool, and did you have any trouble getting a chair? Did you try any of the spa treatments?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Thank you for your post..I enjoyed reading it! Especially about the snorkeling! :-) Where did you find Pablo?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Don't know why you should feel guilty for posting such a great Trip Report! I'm glad to hear Da Luisa i still good after changing over from the previous concept. On our anniversary, our table was also the only one we saw all night, which is truly a shame, since this was easily our best meal. But what a view!

I'm also glad to hear the boat snorkeling was so much better than what we experienced snorkeling from shore (where we found Grand Cayman to be MUCH better). What company did you use? I assume the first site was Manchones reef? Next time we will definitely do some boat snorkeling. We're now rethinking our planned trip to Cozumel/Akumal by trying to figure out how to squeeze a couple of nights onto Isla.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,297 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Very good to hear about the snorkeling!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Was Pablo from Casa Del Buceo If so he is a great guy. He really wants you to enjoy yourself.

I like Villa Rolandi, but prefer to stay in the centro area, and be close to everything. Glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I always look forward to reading about everyones adventures.

Edited: 12 April 2011, 19:11
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

I am shocked at the snorkeling report!! HAPPY,but shocked. You are one of the only people to ever use those words---Unbelievable about Isla snorkeling. Thanks for letting us know!!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Great trip report, thank you! We're staying at VR this May so I'm really looking forward to it. I too was very pleasantly surprised at your snorkeling experience as most people don't consider Isla to be snorkeling heaven :)

Love Olivia's and also like the Sunset Grill. ITA with you on the grilled fish there. I had the best whole grouper prepared just perfectly there. We were considering taking their private yacht over but don't really feel like waiting an hour at Playa Linda.

Thanks again and glad you had a great time.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Websue... we were shocked as well!!! It was wonderful!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Someone was supposed to pick us up from Villa Rolandi - but our flight was 30 minutes early... The gatekeeper guy at the airport with the walkie said he'd track a ride down for us. I had prepaid with VR $100 for roundtrip transfer including ride to Playa Linda and boat trip to Isla. We found out going home, that the price is for when the boat regularly runs. We had to leave at 7:30 in the morning on Sunday and would have had to pay an extra $60, but luckily a nice coulple from Ottowa also had to leave so the cost came down to an extra $30

We are not pool people - we're beach people. I had no problem getting a lounge on the beach. If you are pool people, make sure you move past the first pool if it's full to the infinity pool all the way at the end.. There are chaise loungers there and the waiters serve there as well.

We did not do spa treatments.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres - Villla Rolandi - Travel Report April 7-10th

Pablo is with Casa Del Buceo and he's the go to guy for Villa Rolandi. He and Enrique were wonderful guides. We snorkeled, and my husband dove with them on Saturday..