We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A/C in March?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
839 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
A/C in March?

We are comtemplating a trip to Isla Mujeres in early March of 2012. I'm just curious: do you REALLY need air conditioning in March? I can't seem to recall if we really needed it when we were in Cancun in early March.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A/C in March?

LOL, hard to say. We were there last year in March and I had to go buy a sweatshirt since it was chilly. We did not use the A/C much. I wasn't there this March, so can't say. Prior years we did use the A/C as it was warmer. This January it was beautiful in Xpu-Ha and I wore short sleeved tops. Last January we were freezing our butts off in Akumal and wore jeans for the whole week with a hoodie. I know this doesn't help but it's hard to predict :)

If you're renting a house on the Caribbean side then you'll get breezes and won't need the A/C most likely. On the West side you might, so if A/C is important to you play it safe and rent a place with one.

Edited: 18 April 2011, 22:18
Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
839 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A/C in March?

Thank you for the response! (Even if it was a definite, resounding, absolute maybe.)

:)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A/C in March?

LOL Banker! Seriously, it is as hard to call the weather as it is where you live and where I live. We have been on Isla in March many times, we have had everything from jacket and long pants times to wearing as little as possible days. It can be chilly, damp and windy or hot and humid....but usually it is just warm and sunny :).

My advice also is get a place with a/c....play it safe as traveler said.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
839 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A/C in March?

Yeah, it looks like I'll stick with places with A/C - even though it means that my husband was right and I was wrong. I hate it when that happens, though luckily it is pretty rare. :)

BTW, it's pretty easy to know what will be needed in Oregon in March. A raincoat. And an umbrella.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A/C in March?

You probably WILL need air-conditioning at some time during your stay. I would not chance going without it. The next question to ask is HOW MUCH air-conditioning you will need. Most rental houses on Isla offer it only in the bedrooms -- not in the living, dining and kitchen areas. You should clarify this point with your landlord or rental agent before booking. If you are particularly heat-sensitive, you may want to book a property that offers full a/c, but you will pay more for this amenity.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A/C in March?

I think it depends on where you are staying. Like TNY said, if you are staying on the Caribbean side you will probably be just fine with the fresh breezes off the ocean, especially in early March. If you are downtown it can be quite stuffy and even if it does cool down at night if you don't have good airflow through your bedroom you will be happy to have the AC as an option.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
354 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A/C in March?

Banker.....yes esp. mid-day....unless you catch a Norte....lol

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A/C in March?

Because I have my own personal summers I need a/c all year long, even in the midwest. I have to have a/c in Isla or I can't sleep. This is just me but the sound of the crashing waves keeps me awake, the a/c drowns this out.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A/C in March?

For the past two years I've spent the month of March in Belize, I'm guessing the weather is similar. We never turned on the air conditioning. Weren't even tempted.

We live on the ocean, have ceiling fans, and there's a sea breeze.

That said, we don't like air conditioning, and rarely use it, even in our hot, humid midwest summers.

Whether you need it or not is very much a function of how you live at home. If you don't like to be hot, and go between air conditioned offices, houses, cars, you may well want a/c in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
10. Re: A/C in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:17