We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

close to booking.. just a few questions

Omaha
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
close to booking.. just a few questions

Almost ready to book at Ixchel for Christmas/New Years week. Would a 2 bedroom condo there fit 6 comfortably?

Trying to decide between Isla and a Playacar AI. My heart keeps telling me Isla.But gotta talk hubby into it as he prefers an AI.

Pricing both Isla is coming in $3000 cheaper. What do you think it would cost a family of 6 for dinners with a few cocktails? We'd supplement with buying some groceries and alcohol to have in the condo. Would we come out the same or even save some $?

Thanks for any help!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

We were in a beachfront 1-BR at Ixchel. To make it a 2-BR, they simply open the adjacent "standard" room, which I assume has no living area or kitchen-just an extra bedroom as an add-on. Our BR had 1 king bed. The sofa in our living room was not a pullout. Our companions had a penthouse, which had a larger living room with 2 couches, but again they were not pullouts.

I would think you'd need either a suite equipped with 2 beds in the BRS (which some have) and/or a pullout sofa. Since these are condos, they are each furnished a bit differently. I'd ask them directly what combinations they have available--I found they responded quickly to my emails.

If it works, you and your kids will love Ixchel Beach and Isla!

Omaha
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

Thanks DMartin,

Been lurking awhile and figured I'd hear from you. But not so quickly! We are definitely getting a two bedroom- one with a master and one with two doubles. Just wondering it we'd be stepping over each other in the living/kitchen space.

Appreciate your help?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

So how old are your kids? How much you spend will depend greatly on where you eat and how much you drink. We were there with our 6 yo at the beginning of April and since between my wife and I we maybe have 3-4 drinks/day (most of mine being cheap cerveza) we probably averaged about $60-80us/day for the whole family. This included having an average of one meal/day at our condo. If you limit your meals on Hidalgo, which tend to be about 50% higher than places off the beaten past you should be able to spend considerable less than $3k, even with a bigger family.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

Gee - we had 3 teens for almost 2 weeks on Isla for Christmas a few years ago and we didn't come close to that much $$. We generally had breakfast at our apartment, packed snacks for the beach or had something simple/cheap like nachos and then usually dinner out. Some times we altered that - the only thing that seemed expensive was the virgin Pina Colada's they enjoyed. :)

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

I just toured Ixchel Tower 1 #301 tonight. It is a two bedroom, a king in the master & two beds in the second room. It was quite spacious. Nice size living, dining room area with a kitchen & outside balcony. I would thnk 6 people would be comfortableThe views were great & Ixchel's location just can't be beat..

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

Whenever Michele & I see someone refer to the living rooms at Ixchel as being small, we laugh--it's about the same size as our living room at home! If you can get the combo with 2 beds in the 2nd room, you'll be fine. And as WolrabRoil (you'll hafta explain that screen name to me some day) says, the location is absolutely perfect. Hidalgo is right out the front door, and Ixchel's section of Playa Norte was by far our favorite.

As for food prices, you'll be pleasantly surprised--Isla has more good, affordable food than anywhere I've traveled to. Take Hobbit's advice and wander off Hidalgo. The loncherias at the mercado, for example, offer fabulous, authentic fare at ridiculously low prices. For your Sunday meal, go over to the mercado and get some cochinita pibil (you KNEW I had to plug this) and bring it back to your condo for lunch. If your kids like tacos, you're in luck, but you'll also find pizza, burgers and other "kid-friendly" food. I like to eat a good sized breakfast, snack during the day and then have a nice dinner. I predict this is the first of many trips to Isla for you and your family.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

"And as WolrabRoil (you'll hafta explain that screen name to me some day)"

ITA with that. I've been wondering myself :)

Sorry for the temporary hijack of the thread. While you can eat cheaply on Isla, how much it will cost you a day does depend on the age of your children. If they are three teenagers then it'll cost you considerably more than if they are under the age of 10.

Also, yes, you can spend very little on dinner if, for instance, you have tacos at Taqeria Medina or eat at one of the small, inexpensive restaurants like El Poc Chuc. But keep in mind that experience would not compare to dinner in an a la carte at an AI. For comparable dinners you would have to go to one of nicer restaurants on Isla and pay accordingly.

My husband and I spend around 75 - 85 a day eating in nice restaurants like Olivia's or Frrench Bistro, Rolandi, etc., and that includes margaritas before dinner (2 each during happy hour) a couple of glasses of wine each with dinner, and usually a night cap or two of tequilas or kahluas. But even if your kids are older and eat a lot, I don't think you'll come close to spending 3000 dollars on food :)

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

Here's a link to a 2br condo I'm getting ready to book for October:

http://www.vrbo.com/138047

It has a king in the master, 2 double beds in 2nd bedroom, and a pull-out sofa. Rod, the owner and a friend of ours, is a great guy & he gets great reviews on VRBO. If his unit isn't available he's able to rent one of the other units. His condo is on the 4th floor and has beautiful views. I think it would be plenty big enough for your family, especially with the pull out sofa.

We went over to Isla to see Rod & Isla last year & fell in love with the place. I'm taking some girlfriends in October, and doing a couples trip there in January plus a week back at EPM. I have some pics I could email you..send me a PM with your email if you'd like to see them.

Omaha
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

Thank you ALL for your responses!!!

Did my sales pitch last night for my husband as the "kids"(25,25,20,16) were already on board. Took all of 5 minutes to convince him. Then I pulled out my Mapchick Map that I ordered months ago and he was pretty much sold!

Any suggestions for must stop breakfasts, lunches, or dinners for this crew would be greatly appreiciated! Planning on eating in some, takeout, and some nice dinners.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: close to booking.. just a few questions

Kids - that is funny!! Boys as well? Maybe you better up that food budget! :)

Gee - we all have our favorites and there are some great lists out there and as stated, Isla has a few expensive places, but most are moderate and some are extremely cheap - at least coming from where I live! :)

When we traveled with kids (teens!) we did get the rotissarie chickens - one chicken with all the fixins for about $5 I think. We could usually get more than one meal out of it, though you may have to get 2 chickens.

Breakfasts - I love French Bistro, Mogugua's, Rene & Renee's.

Lunch - Sergios at the beach. :)

Dinner - Brisas Grill, La Lomita's, Freddy's - oh so many!

Have fun - with your mapchick map in hand, you will be just fine! :)