We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water or food on island make you sick??

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Water or food on island make you sick??

I have been to the island of Isla before and stayed for 3 days. Love it and that is why I am going by on Sunday...YEAH!! I am taking my mom with me this time. She is a little concerned that she might get sick from the food in the different restaurants since we are staying at a condo and will eat out a lot. I told her I didn't get sick but is there any other advice I can give her?? Like some dos and don'ts as for food and drinks that might make her stomach a bit upset??

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,282 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

There have been lots of posts about this . . . but I will tell you that you don't need to worry - food is great and drink only bottled water and you will be fine. We do take acidophilus just prior to travels and while staying there - it is the good bacteria that is found in yogurt and just aids digestion.

Now - the most important thing to remember is to wash your hands frequently, but especially before eating and drinking - that is where most germs come from. Most all restaurants have a sink just for this, but I also carry wipes with me. Also, don't push limes down into your beer bottle, as that can introduce bacteria that way. Also, if you like limes, use them all over your food - that helps too. Staying well hydrated is very important too. Enjoy! :)

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

I would say to drink and brush teeth with bottled water only. I have never gotten sick from any of the restaurants on Isla, that doesn't mean it never happens. Just make sure the food is cooked thoroughly and if something doesn't seem 'right" don't risk it. Send it back or just don't eat it.

I did have a case where a chicken dish didn't seem right, the chicken tasted like it may have been spoiled so I didn't eat it. Sometimes you have to follow your instincts, but all in all she should have no problems with food on the island.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

I ate out a bunch of times with no problems. Just like at home, if a place looks gross, it probably is gross.

As far as water is concerned, drink bottled water just to be safe. I was told by a restaurant owner that the water and electricity comes from Cancun. Cancun's water is generally considered to be safe. A lot of the ice is pre made with filtered water.

Don't worry about it. Go to well known places and you will be fine.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

Yes, I bring lots of wipes with me as well.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

The food on Isla is one of the best reasons to visit the Island. It is common practice to soak & wash all produce in a microbacterial solution at the restaurants. Coffee, tea & fruit waters are made with bottled water. The ice is made from purified water.

One thing to keep in mind, the fruit drinks & margaritas are made with real fruit juices. Margaritas are made with lime juice while you might be used to sour mix where you are from. So be cautious just how much fresh (acidic) fruit juice your stomach can take!!

I have lived on the Island for 9 years. I brush my teeth with tap water & have never had any issues.

Enjoy the wonderful flavors of Isla so many to choose from & never enough time!! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,282 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

Oh, that is something I did forget to add: If you buy fruits & veggies from market, make sure it is either something you can peel and eat - or buy some microdyn, to soak your fruits & veggies before eating. You can find it at the market. :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

Knock on wood, I've never been sick on any of my trips (with the exception of a 1/2 day wobbly stomach no big deal) but I'm huge fan of Bio-K which is an acidophilus product.

It has one of the highest amounts of culture (50 billion live bacteria) and I take it for about 2 weeks before a vacation. Their website has lots of info and a search engine to locate a store that sells their products in Canada and the U.S.

http://www.biokplus.com/en-ca/biok-probiotics

Hope this info is helpful and that you have a wonderful, safe and healthy trip!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,890 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

I’ve never got sick on Isla and eat yogurt or take acidophilusevery morning, squeeze the lime they give you over everything, wash my hands or use wipes frequently, and do not eat ceviche or sushi except in very busy restaurants with a fast turnover so the food is fresh.

Ontario
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

If tap water is an issue, must we boil water to wash and rinse dirty dishes?

colorado
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water or food on island make you sick??

Boiling the water before you do dishes is something I have often wondered about also. However, I don't do it and have had no problems with multiple loads of dishes. The detergent must help. However, I have seen people use purified water to boil spaghetti noodles.

I totally agree on the aciidophilus - I use the Pearls as they do not require refrigeration.