We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

Just wondering, since i haven't heard anyone mention it and there are no tripadvisor reviews?

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
867 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

We tried it in March. It happened to be an evening when there was a loss of power due to thunderstorms. However, the grill was working and we had a wonderful "candle-lit" dinner. I can't remember the name of the entrees we had, but both were flavor-packed burrito-type packages of goodness, one pork and one beef. We have them on our list to visit more than once on our next trip. Very charming young woman who did a great job of making the most of the power outage.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

Thanks Harley, Monchis was one of my new favorites and began to worry no one was mentioning them. :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

I’m looking forward to the time when I can spend several weeks on Isla so I can try all these great restaurants. With just one week, I have to be honest, I want a place with a little more atmosphere because dinner out is the “main event” of our day. So while it may sound shallow and superficial, I want a nice place with some atmosphere, some decent wine, a nice view and/or good people watching, maybe some music from Gregorio or others, and a nice long leisurely dinner.

We don’t eat out often when we’re home, so on vacation I want something just a little more “special.” I know I’m missing out on some great food this way and if I had a few weeks we’d make our way to all these places but with limited time we really need to pick and choose and when we drove by, neither Monchi’s nor Basto’s appealed to us in that regard. Food I’m sure is fabulous and eventually we’ll get around to them, so please don't flame me for my preferences :)

Edited: 03 June 2011, 21:50
Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

We tried it on our first night, as it was a short walk from our B&B, we really like the guac and chips, and the tacos were really good too! For our first meal in Isla, we weren't disapppointed!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

TravelerNY, I completely understand what you are saying, the ambiance and how an establishment makes you feel is as important as the food. Going out to dinner on vacation should be an event, and that event is different for each person...no flame from me! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

Thanks, Mapchick :) We will definitely try all these places but I'm just waiting for the chance to spend more than one measly little week there. It's just simply not enough!

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

We went to Monchi's in April and LOVED it. Only one other table occupied when we got there. They were setting tables up in the street before we left. Only shrimp as far as seafood goes, but I'd highly, highly, highly recommend the Monchi Special-it's beef and I don't know what, but it was goooooood.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

Monchis has a website! :-)

http://www.monchisgrill.com/menu.html

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

yeah! thank you WIBS :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any of you recent returnees try Monchis?

You're welcome! So good to see a menu...I can't read half of it so I'll have to refer to my trusty dictionary! lol... :-)