We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who should I book my room thru?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Who should I book my room thru?

Hello. So I was all set to book my four day escape to isla thru the Ixchel website for $476. But I noticed that alot of you mentioned VRBO so I decided to check it out. I found a listing that looked promising so I contacted the owner and he told me that The rental is a 2 bedroom condo but since it's only me and my girlfriend we can rent one bedroom for $100 a night.

My issue is that I'm not interested in staying in a condo with other people. I would want my own separated entrance into our room and I don't want to hear or see anyone else in my room. For those of you that have rented a room from VRBO can you give me some insight?

WV
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

The owner can answer your concern, but I would guess no one will be in yhe room w/ you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

I have used vrbo.com quite a lot, but mostly for stays in Hawaii - haven't used it for Mexico. But if it is a 2 bedroom, and they rent it for 1, you just won't have access to the other bedroom - it is usually something separate and you won't be sharing it with anyone else. But as muscled noted, you would need to contact the owner for specifics. :)

Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

The units at Ixchel are set up as 2 BR/ 2 BA. One half of the unit includes a BR, a abthroom, kitchen, and living room. The other half of the unit only has a BR and bathroom, like a standard hotel room. The half with the kitchen and living roomalso has the balcony. Each "half" of the unti has it's own entry and the door between the two "halfs" is closed and locked if not needed. The question is whether you are getting the standard 1 BR (like a hotel) or the 1 BR Suite with the kitchen, living area and balcony. My guess is that you would only be getting the standard 1 BR for only $100/night. My advice would be to get the 1 BR suite for the additional charge, as it's well worth it.

Hope this info helps. Either way, you won't be "sharing" a unit with anyone else!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,325 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

The rooms are set up exactly as Texbeach describes, which is actually a common arrangement known as a "lockout" (not to be confused with the NFL). Just be sure to get the "1 BR suite" half and not the "standard 1 BR" half.

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

The standard one-bedroom at Ixchel has no balcony access. Not worth it at ANY price, IMHO.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

As much as I would love to have a balcony, I'm ok without one. I went to Jamaica last year with my girlfriend and we had a balcony room that had the most amazing view of the ocean but we never went out on it. We where at the beach the whole time so it didn't matter. I would upgrade to the suite but from what I hear they only have one bed. I need two beds so that wouldn't be ideal for us. If my boyfriend was going it would be perfect but I'm leaving him home.

Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

Many of the suite units have a futon in the living room. That might not be sufficient for you, but some do have them.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

You could book an Ixchel standard room on the ground floor with walk out accessibility to the beach and pool (no really patio, a sliding glass door opens to the pool area). Most standard rooms have two beds. There used to be a ground floor unit in phase II that had a microwave, coffee pot and small bistro table for two. I thought it was a great value, considering the property and amenities are really nice, you're on the best beach, there is great pool, onsite bar/restaurant and FREE loungers with umbrellas included! The microwave and two seat table are nice touches and helps save $ on food cost, etc! Have fun!

9. Re: Who should I book my room thru?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 15:18