We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Topic
August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

As promised here goes our trip report.

I will say it was a long and exhausting journey to get here.

We had to transfer flights- so our day started at 2 a.m.

All had gone relatively well- until we touched down in Cancun.

It was a very very crowded- 2 hour wait at immigration. 6 out of the 42 lanes were open.

2 loooonnngggg warm feet killing hours.

We finally get through- and we go to get our one checked bag- you should have seen the luggage all lined out waiting. We found our bag easily.

We booked USA transfers and that went well- and I'm going to rush right on into arriving on Isla.

Here's where the day gets better. We arrive at Ixchel- and during check in I acquire again about an upgrade to an ocean view. We had walked from the ferry- and were all hot and sweaty and I thought "what the heck, why not ask." The lovely lady says yes- but we only have 610 available. I about jumped out of my skin- and could not tell her yes fast enough.

They were going to put us in 303.

Let me say 610 is amazing- fabulous beyond fabulous views- the extra wrap around balcony is to die for. This is an owned unit- and is nicely, warmly decorated.

Mauricio (sp?) lead us to our room- and I must say he is a true asset to Ixchel.

We settled in- headed down into to town to get some pesos out of the ATM and grab dinner. Our ATM didn't work- had to work out some kinks with the bank. While we prefer to use pesos we did have some dollars and ended up eating dinner at Poc-Chuc.

DH got fish tacos- I tasted and they were delicious! My daughter got the shrimp tacos- plenty of shrimp and the flavor was again delish! And I got the pork- again very good. Yummy dinner.

We must say it is much busier here now than when we came in January. We thought it was the other way around. Its good to see the island so busy. I will also say that while we walked around town tonight we saw many more police on the corners than we have ever seen before, and that's fine with us.

So- here I am 20 hours later after we started this journey- and I am now going to go pass out till tomorrow.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,619 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Thanks so much, this is wonderful :) Was the upgrade expensive? Sounds fabulous and worth every penny! Also glad to hear Isla is busy. Can't wait for more.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

I am SO glad that you got the upgrade. 610 is beautiful!! Lots of amenities. And the unit they were going to put you in would have paled in comparison!!

Enjoy your trip.

My husband is on a plane now heading that way for a short trip....wish I was with him.

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Me too- please keep the comparisons w/January coming too as our next trip may be in January (I worry about the weather and water temps, but have gone every year for the last 5)

long Island NY
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Airport sounded brutal but once you see the sea all seems wonderful. looking forward to hearing more enjoy

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Ah- I think I died last night.

Dh got up early this morning and hit the ATM- then the Mercado. I woke up to Cochanita Pipil, fresh OJ, and fresh tortillas.

The Cochanita was 250 pesos for a kilo- so roughly $20- but I expect the three of us can eat off it for awhile- especially now that we are in a condo with great kitchen amenities.

The OJ was 3o pesos each- so about $2.50, and they are a liter bottle. What a delicious way to start your day.

It is already warm, and humid. I think today we are going to spend the day on the beach.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

New York- the upgrade was $30 a day.

And, DH says they were going to put us in 301 not 303.

This room is amazing.

I will have to remember the camera and start taking photos.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Isn't that wraparound balcony fabulous? We especially appreciate the extra room to allow scuba/snorkeling gear to dry.

And while I'm picking through leftovers from yesterday's block party, you're having cochinita pibil. Is there no justice in this world?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,619 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

"New York- the upgrade was $30 a day."

Wow, MO, that's fantastic. I would have jumped on that too. Can't wait for the pictures. BTW, I love Poc Chuc and ate there often but never had their fish tacos. Were they fried or grilled? :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Where to start?

The comparison between January and August?? The heat! It makes it a tad more challenging spending all day on the beach in August- that and we didn't really want to be burnt first day in.

The beach at Ixchel is superb!!! Love it!

We came in and spent the hottest part of the day just chilling out inside. The AC in #610 works extremely well.

Ventured out to Bally Hoo for lunch. DH got fish tacos, daughter got fish and chips and I got the chicken quesadillas. We all shared. The food was amazing. But this was not our first, or even second trip to Bally Hoo. In January we had noticed an increase in price but consider the food to be amazing, so it was not a deterrent. This time around the amount of fish in the tacos were noticeably less. Still delicious- but not near what they had been in quantity in visits past.

We went to the grocery store and picked up a few items.

After the sun went down, we headed into town. While it was cooler it is still warm. There is a Carnival going in. I enjoy watching the locals enjoy the festivities.

We ended up at a place I don't remember the name, right across from Pizza Rock- and had 2 for 1 margaritas and our first ever tix-n-chic (sp) fish.

OMG!!!!!!!! Why have I not had this before!! It was amazingly delicious.

I must have more!!

I think tomorrow we are going to do much of the same, snorkeling around Playa Norte and just chilling out.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: August Trip report Day 1 from MOValkriders at Ixchel

Oh, and thank you DMartin- we are truly just loving Ixchel!!! Why didnt we stay here before??