We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

Reports from the local press today indicate that State authorities in Quintana Roo have at least temporarily closed the popular Playa Norte beach club bar & restaurant Playa Sol after an outbreak of fish borne food poisoning at the restaurant. Over two dozen people including both national and foreign tourists were stricken with the condition after apparently ingesting fish laden with the toxin "ciguatera". Problems with ciguatera have occurred in the past on Isla, particularly involving the consumption of barracuda. The restaurant management claims their customers were served Red Snapper, another possibility.

There's no word as to when Playa Sol will be re-opened pending further investigation.

"Suspenden funciones de restaurante donde se intoxicaron 27 turistas"

sipse.com/noticias/119003-suspenden-funcione…

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

I read the same on Por Esto this morning. There has been a lot of online discussion/speculation about the entire situation.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

That's a real bummer. Ciguatera is potentially a whole lot more serious that the usual food poisoning. I hope everyone involved makes a complete recovery.

I don't know much about the illness, but, am I correct in thinking that food preparation and cleanliness don't have anything to do with contracting this illness?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

Jeanh - you are correct - it is carried by the fish - and Ciguatoxin is very heat-resistant, so ciguatoxin-laden fish cannot be detoxified by conventional cooking.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

This is one of the problems with eating species near the top of the food chain--in many places barracuda is considered inedible because of this (and a high level of mercury that also comes from fish near the top of the chain). Unfortunately, snapper is also in this group--one of the best-tasting fish, in my opinion.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

What I don't understand is if its a toxin in the fish why is it only one retauarant that is affected?

Why don't they close fishing of a certain species?

When we have "red tide" shellfish poisoning they close harvesting of bivalves. How can only one restaurant have a toxin and not others?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

lovebirds, I believe they are not supposed to be serving barracuda anywhere on the island right now, but this place did. :(

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

Thanks mapchick

"The rstaurant management said they were served red snapper"

Personally I wouldn't eat baracuda, but I do like red snapper.

I truly hpe its not affected

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

Supposedly they won't have the lab results for another week so it's not definite that it's ciguatoxin.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

Suddenly that pork and octopus is sounding better, eh, TNY?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Sol Beach Club Bar & Restaurant Closed Temporarily

I read up on ciguatoxin just now and it's not pretty. Yikes! But if that's what it was I think these people would be a lot sicker than they seem to be. Apparently it also causes neurological symptoms or smething. I'm thinking it's probably just good old fashioned food poisoning from some not so fresh stuff sitting out at the buffet. We'll see the lab results I guess. I feel bad for Sergio's because after a really bad season he really did not need this.

Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres