We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best souvenirs

Bucks County Pa.
Level Contributor
402 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best souvenirs

I would like some suggestions on good souvenirs from the island. I will be buying for 18 yr old female and 22 yr old male. I know its personal preference but I am wondering what people purchase. Im not talking about a tshirt or shot glass but something nice, unique, different.

Any suggestions are appreciated also please suggest some nice shops..

Thanks All

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best souvenirs

For a girl, if she’s into jewelry, Fire Opal on Juarez towards the Southern part of it has lovely things and will custom make rings, necklaces, etc. Also the Alejandro’s “purple store” on the corner of the main square and Guerrero (same side as supermarket) has beautiful silver jewelry. Both are very reputable and have high quality things.

If you have a golf cart, you can stop by the Bead Ladies cooperative where they make beautiful beaded things. Profits go to benefit families in need. You can check out their website at http://www.islawomensretreat.com then find the link for the beading collective.

For a male, maybe some nicely made sandals. There is a shop on one of the side streets that makes really nice ones for both men and women but for the life of me can’t remember the name of the store of the street. Ask around or wander the side streets and you’ll find it. I’m thinking maybe Abasolo or Medera, between Juarez and Hidalgo, but am not definite. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in.

There is also a great little off-beat store on Hidalgo selling religious-oriented artifacts, genuine masks from different regions, etc., so if they’re into the exotic or the different, check that store out too.

Finally, not sure if they're into art but in the lobby of the Villa Rolandi they were selling litographs of a local artist. Very cool and not very expensive. Easy to bring home as they're unframed.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 15:07
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best souvenirs

I bought a beautiful bracelet from Alejandro this past May. He was very easy and nice to deal with. I saw it, and he gave me a price. I had to think about it and actually came back twice to look at it. I could not think of leaving the island without it so I went back in and bought it. He came down some on the price but if you price out some of the other shops you will see his mark up is not like some of the other places... Fire Opal was not open while we were there, sadly.

If you are buying jewelry from one of the Silver places around the ferry be mindful of the prices, I was looking at a bracelet at a shop there and the man came down from $500 to $250 in less than 3 minutes...

Bucks County Pa.
Level Contributor
402 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best souvenirs

Thanks for the advice.

We will definitly be checking out the silver shops and

my wife loves the idea supporting The Bead Ladies cooperative.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best souvenirs

It's a very good cause and the little jeweled bags the ladies make are certainly unique and would make a wonderful gift :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best souvenirs

Ditto to comments about Alejandro...very nice man...good quality items and he does a really good job on repairs as well (ie. Replacement lobster clasp..60 pesos).

The Bead Coop...great little place...items were 50 to 200 pesos (necklaces, bracelets, earrings). Bags were cute – cost a little more. Double check with them on their hours and days open so you don’t miss out.

Loads of shops around Centro selling just about everything.

Happy shopping! :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best souvenirs

I like finding different things as well - but it depends on your budget as well who you are buying for. Our first year, we bought some blankets - you can get cotton or wool. I also like bringing home some of the spice products - like achiote paste, moles, vanilla, etc. And of course, tequila or kahluha is always good to bring home too! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best souvenirs

They're buying souvenirs for an 18 year old girl and 22 year old guy. Speaking only for myself, I would not have been thrilled with some achiote paste or mole at that age, lol ;-) But yes, those would make good gfts for people who like to cook :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best souvenirs

so true, so true . . . must have been my morning daze - missed the age thing. Our teens loved their Mexican blankets though. :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best souvenirs

Personally, I'd love some vanilla and mole paste now :) Blankets are always nice too!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best souvenirs

If you are looking for some more unique ideas...

If either likes to cook, the all natural Vanilla is a nice gift or the PEACE Cookbook. The cookbook is made up of recipes from locals & restaurants. You can purchase it at La Gallerita, PEACE's art gallery across from Olivia on Matamoros. They have the same hours as Olivia, Tuesday through Saturday, 5pm to 9pm.

La Gallerita has very unique gifts made from Islenos & Isla artists. Just to name a few...They have jewelry made by Jana Epperson. She collects sea glass on Isla & creates unique one of a kind pieces (necklaces, earings, bracelets). Jana lives North of Dallas & visits Isla several times a year. She created an organization that provides high school and college scholarships to some wonderful and deserving students on the island of Isla Mujeres. All of her jewelry & art proceeds goes to a scholarship fund. Also check out her etsy page at http://www.etsy.com/shop/silvermoongallery La Gallerita also has the novel, "No Urn for the Ashes", written by Alison Sawyer Current who founded IslaAnimals.org & has helped thousands of Isla animals with spay & neuter clinics, medical supplies & animal education. "No Urn for the Ashes offers a uique blend of adventure and psychological insight. Ultimately. it's a story about coming to terms with the past and the threads that carry through generations." They also have Jess Zimmermans prints, PEACE t-shirts, homemade body scrubs, a whole array of interesting & different gifts that are very Isla & a portion of all the proceeds goes to PEACE our community non-profit. http://www.peace-islamujeres.org/

Tribal, jewelry & art gallery on Hidalgo has beautiful handcrafted items as well as very cool shirts.

Gladys Galdamez has a clothing shop on Abasolo just East of Hidalgo in Hotel Marie de Pilar. She handcrafts incredible Caribbean wear for men, women & children. Her prices are very reasonable & she is very talented.

As mentioned in other posts, Arte de Galleria de Alejandro, on the corner SE of the Super Express has authentic silver jewelry. "Alex" weighs everything & gives you a fair price, none of this it's $600 pesos but I'll sell it to you for $150 bs. He also has pewter & Telavera pottery. And Atzlan is the gallery on the corner of Hidalgo & Madero. They have all one of a kind hand crafted art, masks, crosses, etc.