We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report August 25th part 3

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Trip report August 25th part 3

Hi everyone! So we finally make it to the hotel. The street in front is all torn up. Luggage guy helps haul our bags up the stairs. I gave him 7 us dollars. he smiled really big, but was that enough money, honestly? Anyway, we walk in the lobby and feel the cool air. Yes! Not to be a spoiler, but the floor at the entrance totally freaked me out. I thought I was falling in. We get to the counter and wait while the Pedro assists another couple. It seemed like immediately someone was handing us each a glass of champaine and a cold wet towelette. At the same time, Jaime, was loading up our luggage on a cart. Yeah! Now here's where it gets weird and I still don't understand where exactly the communications went wrong. When I originally booked the trip thru Orbitz, we didnt have alot of money and I chose the least expensive room category, which was standard with a balcony. By the time we left for the trip, things were better And I was wishing I had booked the room with a Jacuzzi because we both really, really wanted that. We really didnt care about the view, had that before and you cant see the ocean at night when we're in the room anyway. But we've never had a balcony w/a jacuzzi at any hotel, and I regretted not getting it when I had a chance. So after asking you all at Tripadvisor, I figured I would pay for an upgrade at check in, problem solved.

So when Pedro got to us I thought I was ready. He asked our names and looked up our reservation. He asked for our passports and our orbitz paperwork. I asked about upgrading to a higher category of room. I also asked about upgrading to all-inclusive. He basically told me I should have done that thru Orbitz. I didnt think I was hearing him correctly. He really didnt want us to PAY for an upgrade or all-inclusive? He said maybe we could come back tomorrow and see what was available. Seriously? Tomorrow suddenly a better room or all inclusive would be available? Then he said he was "upgrading" us to a partial ocean view. I said that was nice, but I really didnt care about the view. We really wanted a jacuzi and would pay for it. Nope. Wow.

Allrighty, I thought. Let's just get to the room and relax. We know its going to have a balcony and were getting a partial ocean view, so how bad can it be. Maybe tomorrow someone different will be at the desk, though Id really hate to have to pack up again.

So now me, HTB and Jaime are on the move again. We get to the room. Jaime opens the door, we enter a super tiny room, which is the standard room, I walk over to the window, look out, see a yucky street view, and off in the distance, yep, I think that's a bit of ocean there. Then it hits me. There is no balcony on this room. Horror of horror, it's just a window! Are you freaking kidding me??? I'm not even sure the window opens, which I want to jump out of now. So lets deconstruct this from HTB's perspective. pouring rain and landing. Gloomy overcast the whole ferry ride. Mass confusion, on the way to hotel, hot muggy sweatballs, ugly torn up street in front of hotel, now a tiny room facing what appears to be a ghetto street and NO BALCONY. I plan the trips in our family. From start to finish. It's what I do. I always do it well and get great deals. HTB is looking at me like I really, really, fudged up.

I turn to Jaime and say, "Oh no, Jaime this wont do. We must have a balcony. HTB is a smoker". Yes, folks, I played the smoker card.

But it's true, not just a ploy. If you are a smoker, you simply must have a balcony to smoke on. One of the reasons we travel outside the US is because not too many US hotels allow smoking anywhere on their property anymore. He smokes. We vacation where he can smoke. Period. I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just explaining how it is for us. And no way am I being trapped in that tiny room with all that smoke. Anyway, Jaime looks at me very sadly and shakes his head as if he's seen this before and says, "Yes, but DOES your confirmation papers say a room with a balcony?" Well of course it did. I might be cheap but I'm no dummy. I showed him the papers where it said standard room WITH BALCONY. I swear to you, TA friends, Jaimes' face just lit up like a christmas tree! He took the papers and said, "don't worry! just stay here and drink your champaine and I will get you a better room and come back for you and your bags!" Jaime leaves, I literally down my glass and inspect the room. Cute with a nice bathroom shower, but weboth agreed we'd never ever be ok here without a balcony.

Jaime returns and starts loading our bags back up. He says he sorry its only second floor. I remember TA posters saying to get 3rd floor or higher. At this point, I don't care. I'm tired and now we're on the move again and it's hot. Again. We get to the room, He opens the door. It looks similiar (small) to the other. I see a balcony! I look out at a humongous balcony with a...wait for it.....

A JACCUZI!!!!! :)))))))) I'm so happy I shriek like a little girl and give Jaime a kiss on the cheek and a big hug. Jaime looked so happy. I gave him 25$ US and he looked so happy with that it made me sad, thinking maybe people dont usually tip him decently. This guy just got us a free jaccuzi, plus lugged our luggage twice. Priceless. Sorry it takes me so long to get to the point, friends . the first, horrible room was 541. PLease, please avoid this room.

The second room with the jaccuzi overlooked the torn up street, the school and cemetery from the side. i actually liked overlooking the street. It got to be fun to watch people go bumpedy bumpedy bump in their golf carts and scooters over the torn up street, and watch people walking back to the hotel from Hildago and the end of the night. But the balcony was huge and awesome and so worth it. Get the room with the Jaccuzi, my advice. this room was 323, I think. That's it for now, thanks for reading.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report August 25th part 3

Glad you finally got the room you wanted. That's why we always recommend here to get everything in writing and have it ready to show if necessary. Hope after the arrival and room hassles everything else goes really well for you :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report August 25th part 3

I'm also a smoker who makes frequent trips to the balcony. If I were expected to dress, run all the way downstairs and go outside ... well, that's just not gonna happen. Alarming thing is that I've requested smoking rooms before, back when there was such a thing, and arrived to find I'd been placed in a non-smoking room. On 3 of the 4 times this has happened (at 4 different properties), complaining at the front desk produced the exact same results: I was simply handed an ashtray.

Shafter, California
Level Contributor
458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report August 25th part 3

Great report! I love your writing style....funny, funny, and funny!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report August 25th part 3

I'm hoping for the next parts :)

5. Re: Trip report August 25th part 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 19:17