We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Our trip to Isla was everything we hoped it would be and more. We loved the island and are already working out a plan to go back. I'll do my best to fill in the week's trip and have already posted reviews on Villa Rolandi, Bally Hoo (our favorite), Mango Cafe, Mininos, and Faynes. We arrived in time for dinner on Wed night and decided to stay in the hotel for dinner-as I've already said in my hotel review, the one disappointing factor at VR was that neither of our two dinners there were very good. But, it was a long travel day and we were tired and we loved the view, the ambiance and the service at VR. Calling it an early night, we awoke on Thursday, enjoyed a great breakfast at the hotel and grabbed a cab into town to get a golf cart. There are always cabs outside of VR and if you see Cab 101 say hi to Jorge for us. We were headed to Ciros, but Jorge suggested El Sol where we negotiated a price for the whole week of $280 US. Since VR wanted $55 for the day and $75 for 24 hours, we were happy with this. We stopped by every couple of days and they came running out to fill our tank before we could get out of the cart. Great service, good cart and no issues all week.

Jorge also stayed with us while we worked out the deal (of course we know he got a small cut for getting us there- like 20p for each day of the rental) and then took my hubby off to the bank when it was decided that we would pay in dollars. We took his number and agreed to meet up with him later in the week.

So now, we hop in our cart and take off around the island to explore. We had Laura's (mapChick) maps in hand but decided for the moment just to wing it. We made it down to Punta Sur before deciding we were hungry and had a great lunch on the terrace at Acantilado where they were offering a lobster special for $18. Hubby asked if it included drinks and our waiter came back to the table and said the manager said ok! Huge lobster tail came with rice, potato, great fresh veggies and a huge basket of chips --and a beer -- for the $18. A great meal and you can't beat the view.

Continuing on, we shopped a bit from the vendors there, paid our 5 pesos to use the restrooms (which we found hilarious, but the bathrooms ARE clean) and headed out in the cart again. Toured around a bit more and then headed back to VR where we changed and headed down to the pool.

Spent the afternoon hanging in the pool, met another honeymooning couple with whom we really connected and ended up heading into town together. By the way--while dinner at VR is pricy, drinks and snacks by the pool are incredibly reasonable. We thought we had racked up quite a bar bill that afternoon and were surprised at how reasonable it actually was.

Our new friends from Atlanta were interested in Angelo's and had tried to eat there earlier in the week but it had been closed. This evening, however, it was open and we were in. We ordered appetizers and drinks and then decided that both couples would go for the lasagna for two...WOW.. I don't even know how to describe it. This was like no lasagna I've ever eaten. Layers and layers of cheese and meat (not really a tomato base) and the top was totally browned and charred but in a good way. Looked burned--tasted like well browned cheese... unbelievably good and each serving WAY more than even the guys could eat.

After dinner we headed down to the plaza area to check out what was happening. There was a huge fiesta going on as the next day was a national holiday. We hung around for a while watching the festivities but we were tired and so we headed back to our cart and our extremely comfortable hotel bed! Have to say that it was cool to experience this kind of local celebration...not something you often get to see.

OK, that should get you started... more to come...and again, thanks to all who gave advice and input...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

What a great start! We Islaholics love reading these reports so we can live vicariously through you. Thursday would have been the 15th, or "El Grito," the night before Independence Day when everybody gathers in the plaza to shout "Viva la Mexico!" at 11:15 PM. Can you describe what was going on? Were there fireworks? (We're already planning next year's trip and it will encompass Independence Day.)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Great trip report, I love reading it. We also stayed at VR in May and loved it. Can't wait for the rest :)

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

as requested, a bit more on the independence day celebration...after what we hear had been a very quiet week, it seemed like everyone on the island was out in the streets that night. Teens and 20s girls dressed "to the nines" in party dresses and HIGH heels, families, etc. The restaurants were full and by the time we finished dinner--11 ish i think, the crowd at the plaza was getting bigger and bigger. We were walking that direction as the fireworks started and they were really good if you like fireworks. The plaza was filled by the time we got there, there was some kind of announcements that we didn't really hear (or perhaps understand as my spanish is not the best) and then the band started playing again. We didn't care for the music and we were exhausted so that was the point that we decided to head for VR. Sorry I can't report more but I will say that it was very cool to be a part of what was clearly a locals celebration and not a tourist show. The next day, pretty much, was QUIET...lots of places closed for the holiday, kids off school and everyone sleeping off what was a LATE night celebration. They say it goes on til 4 am...

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Karen, what did you have for dinner at VR? I had their grilled fish and also their fish carpaccio and they were both fantastic. My husband's Maya style fish was just ok (kind of bland), but otherwise the food we had was great. It's a shame yours wasn't all that thrilling.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Am enjoying your trip report! Can't wait for more. :)

You know, that is what I love about Isla - their celebrations are for them, but they are so gracious in tourist observation and making us feel welcome . . . always warms my heart in how graciously they share their island with us. :)

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Coalminer, I agree. Some things we noticed -- how clean the island is kept, how proud folks are of their island, we saw NO ONE asking for a handout (a common occurrence in Santa Fe!) although very willing to do a job for pay. We received the greatest treatment everywhere from the 5 star hotel to the smallest vendor.

traveler, first night i had grilled salmon (not local fish I know) and it was just ok. Hubby had whole grilled snapper which he said was very good and we shared the calamari/zucchini app which was good. the last night i had fettucini alfredo with chicken which was just way too salty and hubby had a ginger shrimp pasta thing that was ok. we shared a caesar salad was supposed to be made table side but wasn't. it wasn't like anything was horrible, just very disappointing after the hype we had read. Also very expensive considering the quality was no better than so many great places on the island.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Yes, I agree that for those prices you would expect really outstanding food and not just something that's ok :)

Anyway, can't wait for the rest!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

Great report! So happy to read Acantilado...awesome shrimp tacos! Lobster for $18...wow...count me in! lol...

Looking forward to another edition. :-)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

No kidding. Totally forgot to comment on those 18 dollar lobsters. And I'm not missing out on the shrimp tacos the next time either!

10. Re: Trip Report- September honeymoon, part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:19