We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Honeymoon- part 5

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
September Honeymoon- part 5

Thanks for all the nice feedback. It is so much fun to know that all of you love this place as much as I do. OK, unless I get interrupted, I may actually get to finish this tonight...

Tuesday morning...determined NOT to spend our last full day thinking about going home! Decide to head out for breakfast since we will still have another breakfast at VR tomorrow. Have heard about the places at the Public Market so we head that direction and run into hubby's new fishing friend, Jorge in the parking lot. Chat for a few minutes then take a quick turn through the market...interesting but nothing we want to buy. Now where to eat... there are 4 little food stands along the outside wall all share a seating area. I know stuff has been written about at least some of them but I have no idea which one(s) and none of the names stand out at this point. Pick one, I say... Third one in (from the left) says hubby....why, i say...i don't know he says but we go... He orders a cubano sandwich, asks the guy how big it is--guy says not very--I'll have two he says... but it was good size and so he can't finish them but he makes a valiant effort. I order cheese enchiladas and an order of fries....no idea why... mine is good when it comes but NOT cheese --they are chicken enchiladas. Wasn't crazy about the fries--they were cooked in the same grease as some fish and tasted--wait for it....fishy!!! Sorry, too easy! Washed it all down with a coke, decided it was a little early for a beer and wasn't in the mood for coffee.

So...what to do next? earlier in the week, our new atlanta friends had told us about a bar they stopped at... sign out front says "beer so cold, it'll make your teeth hurt". Actually, for those who don't know--its a B & B called Villa Bella. What our friends loved, besides the cold beer (and it WAS cold) were all the little signs around the property...no groups larger than 6, no moving the chairs, no loud noise, etc.. We stopped for a beer--and were met by the owner, Kurtis, who showed us around what is clearly his pride and joy. The place is beautiful, well appointed, great view, nice pool and patio with a walk to the beach and Kurtis seems a great host. Would definitely consider for a future visit. Sat and visited for a while, but time to move on--after all, its our last day.

We are due at Jimbo and Karen's at noon where we spend an hour or so talking about rental prices on the island and looking at a few things on line. Then we hop in Jimbo's truck (big, red, Colorado plates, say hi if you see him) and ride around for a while stopping to look at a couple of rental properties. this gives us a good feel for different neighborhoods and prices and we realize for about 5 grand a year, we could rent a great place, year round and have it whenever we want! Jimbo tells us about a few folks he knows who go in together on a place and then trade off on time there... anybody in???? We really want to stay at Jimbo's on our next visit but Casa Roca Caribe is often booked well in advance and we understand why--it is a FIND!

We say adios to Jimbo and Karen and decide it's lunch time. Again on recommendation from Atlanta, we decide on Las Brisas Grill. Dos cervesas por favor...(rude awakening on homecoming to see the price of beer here!) Guacamole and chips to share, fish tacos for hubby, I decide to try the aracherra tacos. Enjoy lunch and by now it is mid-afternoon and the golf cart is due back to its shop by 5. We're pretty tired so we decide to take the cart back and head back to the hotel for a little pool time and a chance to visit with our favorite pool guys before they head home at the end of the day.

Spend some time by the pool, have a couple of our favorite banana coladas and head up to the room. Its our last night and we debate pizza in the room or the restaurant downstairs. We head down for dinner but honestly wished later we had stayed in for pizza. We didn't eat the pizza at VR but we have heard it was very good-- and prepared the same as Rolandi's which we liked. On our first night there, the hotel had left us a bottle of champagne and we had just never gotten around to drinking it. We took it down to the restaurant with us and they were--of course--delighted to chill and serve it for us. We both decided on pasta-- alfredo for me, the server offered chicken on top and i agreed, ginger shrimp for Ed...neither was very good...he liked his better than i liked mine. the alfredo was so salty i could barely eat it. As I have said several times, if you are still with me on part 5--the one disappointment of the trip was the dinners at VR. We head up to the room where hubby heads out to the balcony to smoke his last cigar...

I forgot to mention our shopping experience downtown--i think the night we ate at Rolandi's. We wandered out of dinner and down the block where we stopped in front of Fayne's to thank Luis for the recommendation. Chatting about New Mexico and a shop vendor overhears us... he jumps into the conversation as he went to school in TX--which of course, was practically NEXT DOOR! We had read a lot about the shop vendors there and understand they are just trying to make a living, so we decide to play along... we follow him into the store and before we know what's happening, we are drinking tequila flavored with amaretto or something (anybody know about this stuff--it was awesome but I asked a well versed barkeep at home and he had never heard of it...) anyway, a couple of shots --more like an after dinner drink than a shot, really--and I am looking at earrings to bring home to my daughter.. bought a beautiful pair --with gold and orange fire opals and while I am shopping, the shopkeep and the hubby are talking cigars. they disappear for a couple of moments and hubby comes back happy with his cigar purchase which he enjoyed for the next few nights...

ok, so back to our last night...we watch a few old episodes of TV shows we like and called it a night.

Wed morning we awake to rain... if we have to leave, it might as well be raining! We head down for our final breakfast, lingering over our food and finishing every last bite of the bread basket...and the whole pot of coffee. We head back up to pack and hang out for a while and then it's time to meet Ricardo in the lobby for our farewells and our boat trip back to the mainland. It has stopped raining but is still very overcast and humid and when we get to the mainland it is hot and damp and for a moment we almost --but not quite--look forward to the dry climate of home. Our driver meets the boat as we arrive and we are at the airport in about 20 minutes.

Now, here's an important note gang-- we arrive at the airport at 12:50 for our 3:05 flight and BARELY make it to our flight on time! The only reason we do make it is that about 2:15 they come out into the check in line (where we have been for an hour and a half at this point) and ask for those of us on the 3:05 flight to come to the front of the line. They get us through and we have bare minutes to grab the first food we can find and board our flight. So...moral of this story--give yourselves plenty of time to get through the airline check in line (security was fast as everyone was still out in line to check in)!

So that's it... it was a perfect week and we can't wait to go back...while we loved VR, we realize we can stay several other places and stay twice as long for the same price so next trip we will probably try for Jim and Karen's or something else like that... While there are so many great places to eat, we probably wouldn't cook much, we like the idea of being able to make coffee in the morning before we head out, etc...

Hope you've enjoyed reading, I've enjoyed re-living it while I write and look forward to hearing about your next visits...I know some of you are heading there soon....

Karen

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Loved all your reports. Another islaholic is made :-)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Karen,

Your trip reports were fantastic!

From reading your reports I can tell you and your husband share a generous spirit. You are the type of people who give back :)

It sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon, and that you made some good friends.

Loved reading all the reports, thank you!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Thanks so much for letting us all go on your honeymoon with you! What a great trip--and what great little island, no? We also met Curtis and Ashley at La Bella Villa and we too are considering it for a future stay. Gorgeous place, great view and delicious margaritas and pina coladas. When you were describing the mercado, I almost shouted, "pick Alexia y Geovanny!" It's the stall closest to the street. That's where we ate our first breakfast ever on Isla.

Really, $5k for the year? So our 6 months will cost us only $2,500? Where do I sign?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Thanks again so much for the reports, they were awesome. One thing that has always baffled me though is how the airport can be so packed with tourism being down. It happens to us all the time in Cancun....whether it's high season or low season....just don't get it lol

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Thanks so much for the wonderful trip reports. They really helped to tide me over until it's time for my return to Isla!

ETA: not sure whether you know but we have a Trip Reports Top Question (second one in upper right hand side) and I added all of yours. This way people can easily access them and they don't get "lost" with all the future posts :)

Edited: 30 September 2011, 13:50
nikkid37
Level Contributor
354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Great trip reports!!!!! Makes me miss Isla even though I just left a couple of weeks ago. I am glad you got to check out Villa La Bella we stayed there 2 years ago and it is a special place! Thank you for sharing!!!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Thanks, Traveler...I am just figuring out how to navigate this site although I have been stalking it for a while!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

It's not exactly the most user-friendly site, lol. I don't know who their web designer is but it could use a face lift ;)

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! What will I do tomorrow without a new trip report from you???? But a week from tomorrow, my toes will be in the sand on north beach! Yay!

Also, thank you very much for the info on your almost missed flight! Yikes, and that was on a Wednesday. We're returning on a Saturday & I can't help but be a wee bit nervous. I have crazy visions of the ferry sinking, or a hurricane blowing in & the ferry is cancelled & we miss our flight...lol! We're scheduled to be at the airport 3 hours before our flight, so hopefully that will be enough time.

And yes, I love that almond tequilla too! I can't remember the name of the one I bought last year in Playa, but it's in a very cool bottle with a leather label on it. Have you tried the pomegranate tequilla? It's quite delicious also, especially in a martini!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September Honeymoon- part 5

CoronaGirl, if you can't get off the island to get to the airport, that seems to be to be ok for my money...stuck in the Cancun airport, on the other hand...not so ok. Now I read somebody's report last night that talked about clearing that check in line in a half hour so who knows..but, yes, on a Saturday, I would give myself plenty of time!