We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
517 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

We will be heading to Mexico in one short week. We are planning a trip over to Isla and wondering if there are any more upscale restaurants, where we can sit with our toes in the sand & watch the sunset while dining??

Thnx in Advance !

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

Sunset Grill fits the bill, on Playa Norte.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

Isla isn't full of upscale restaurants, and those that are don't necessarily have "toes in the sand" seating. Isla, as a rule, is very laid back and casual. However ...

Many people like Sunset Grill, which is right on Playa Norte and therefore has one of the best sunset views going. Personally, it has always struck me as a bit "touristy" but like I say, many people love it. Definitely the best combination of upscale, toes in the sand and sunset view.

Many of the seafood restaurants right on Medina (near the ferry) afford good sunset views. Not exceptionally upscale, but I like Brisas Grill, which has good lobster and grilled meats. Also very strong drinks (avoid the mojito, which comes with finely diced mint that easily comes through the straw).

One of the most "upscale" restaurants is Da Luisa, an Italian place at Casa Ixchel hotel, mid-island (so a short cab ride away). While you face away from the sunset, the view of the Caribbean's changing colors in the fading light is beautiful. We ate our anniversary dinner here last year (although it wasn't an Italian menu at the time) and were thrilled with it. Beautiful view, fabulous food, great service.

There is also a very nice (and upscale) restaurant at Hotel Villa Rolandi. This is also outside of Centro, so it would require a cab. It does face toward the Bahia so I imagine it would have great sunsets. Don't know whether there is "toes in the sand" seating per se but perhaps somebody who has stayed there can chime in. TNY?

Another nice, romantic restaurant downtown is Olivia, which features a "Mediterranean" menu of Greek and middle eastern dishes. Nice place but it's an interior courtyard. You could, of course, have cocktails somewhere during the sunset itself and then stroll on over to Olivia.

There are reviews up for all these places.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
517 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

WOW Dmartin...thank you so much !!

When I say "upscale" I mean exactly what you are speaking of. My hubby saw Villa Rolandi & thought it looked very nice but Brisas Grill sounds really good also.

Can't wait !!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

We really liked our dinner at the Brisas Grill. :)

The guys had caught fish that day and brought it there and they did a great job- smoky blackfin tuna and mahi mahi done 2 different ways. Decent wine on their wine list, too.

Edit: But it is not really 'upscale'....very nice though. :)

Edited: 30 September 2011, 20:47
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

Nope, no toes in the sand at Villa Rolandi. You dine on a deck like you do at Da Luisa.

I have always liked the Sunset Grill but it really does depend on what you order since it gets mixed reviews. I've never had bad fish or shrimps there but can't vouch for the rest of the menu. Beautiful setting, toes in the sand, candles on the tables, tiki torches, to me it's the perfect beach restaurant :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

Brisas Grill is our favorite for down on the beach. Excellent salads too. :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

Olivias is going to be closed the month of October I think.

I would suggest Brisas Grill also.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

I'll second Sunset Grill (at sunset.) Not inexpensive and yes, a bit on the touristy side, but hey, it certainly gets the job done (beautiful, romantic sunset with good food presented creatively.) Something always just washes over us and we have a delightful, romantic time with a world class view.

Your mileage my vary...

Darien,Connecticut
Level Contributor
503 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

If you are a guest @ the Hotel the Casa Rolandi will arrange dinner on the beach. No harm in asking, if you are coming on a day trip for a special occassion.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Restaurant for an evening meal

we just came back from Villa Rolandi and if they are still not busy --I suspect they would arrange a dinner for you as they are ALL about the service! However, in my opinion, you will get a better meal at Las Brisas or Da Luisa. VR is as upscale as the island gets, dinner is expensive, the service is OUTSTANDING but we weren't thrilled with the food.... so, depends on what you want most!