We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for the maids

Sand Coulee, Montana
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for the maids

We will soon be visiting Isla Mujeres. We like to leave little gifts along with a tip for the maids each day. Does anyone have some ideas for the gifts?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,648 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for the maids

This is a very personal thing and dfiferent people do different things but unless you know the person (for example, is the person cleaning your room male or female; do they have children; do you know their tastes and likes and dislikes, etc.) if you really want to give something extra, the best gift is something thoughtful from your own home state.

The vast majority of things we have in the States are also available in Mexico. Plus, sweets and chocolates are not a good idea as diabetes, being over-weight, having dental issues, etc. are all health risks and IMO it's best not to contribute to them.

My own view is that I would rather hold off giving gifts until I get to know the person so I don't risk coming across as patronizing. Even with the best of intentions that's a possibility. Others may think very differently so I'm just giving my own POV :)

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for the maids

Very well said!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for the maids

cash.

I strongly agree with what travelerNewYork says, especially the first sentence of the last paragraph. And the entire middle paragraph.

suitcaseready.com

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for the maids

$$$$$$$$$$

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts for the maids

I agree, cash.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,648 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts for the maids

Just to clarify: the OP did say gifts "along with the tips." So yes, they do intend to leave a cash tip but were asking about additional items as gifts :)

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts for the maids

no need to clarify. I can read. the answer is still cash

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts for the maids

Ditto Katzgar!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts for the maids

One more for cash - the occupancy rate has been lower than average. I can't imagine anything being more appreciated than cash to help them feed their family.

Maryland
Level Contributor
308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts for the maids

The poster mentioned giving cash already so why keep saying repeating give cash give, cash give cash? I leave cash each and every day, I also will buy a nice brand of nail polish or lipstick in several shades which I think they may like. I let them pick which ones they like, if it's more than one maid cleaning your room no one is left out. Yes Mexico may have the same merchandise that we have at home, but the same items are pricey there.

I make sure if at home I leave a 5 dollar tip I will double it while on vacation, to the cleaning staff, bartenders as well as the waiters in restaurants. It's the thought that counts.