We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick question about status of road re-paving

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Quick question about status of road re-paving

Hi all,

We are visiting the island in December, and was wondering the status of the road re-paving ( on Medina and Mateos). So, if anyone has been on the island recently, I would be really appreciate any feedback. We are staying in a downtown apt and just wondering how the noise, construction is. (specifically around Jax's bar area) Thanx

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Mateos was a hard-packed, hilly dirt road in early September. Made driving a golf cart interesting, like driving on the lunar surface. Medina was completely finished.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Someone recently asked the same question on the MIM board. The response was that Mateos is not finished, nor is the 'fisherman's circle' area right by Jax. But that could all change by December. We stayed at Posada del Mar for a few nights in June when they were paving Medina in front. When they're working, it's noisy. We used the beach over in front of Ixchel because the Posada beach was not peaceful. They didn't work at night, so no problems sleeping. The other way to look at it is if the street's torn up and they're not working, it's even less traffic noise than normal!

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Ten days ago, Mateo was closed between Hidalgo and Medina. No traffic going either way. And while we were there, absolutely no work was being done on it. In order to get from the north end back to Medina you had to take the street that goes past Hortensia's, turn right at Poc Na and then head back to Medina.

Traffic was a MESS, particularly when school was starting and ending.

I don't see Mateo being done any time soon, since they still have to do that part that runs from Hidalgo to Guerrero and on......

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,777 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Then I imagine anyone staying at PA or Color de Verano can't park their golf cart there either? How do taxis get you to PA for instance? Or CdV?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

The "Fisherman's Circle" looked done to me when we were there. And at the time you could drive down Mateos. So I guess now the circle is as close as you can get.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

You can drive down Medina and drop for CdV at the circle next to Jax. Keep going past the circle and the dirt road to PA and Nautibeach is open. Parking is another issue. There is a little parking in the circle area (at the fisherman statue) between Jax and CdV but not much. Since it was SO slow when we were there, it probably wasn't a huge issue, but it definitely will be in a few weeks. Hopefully they will get moving soon on the repavement.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,777 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Ok, great, thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Thanks so much for all the replies and helpful info! We are staying right next to Jax at CDV in one of the studio's and trying to decide whether to change our plans or not. The studio apt is right on the street level, so I'm thinking it may be noisier than normal with the construction. ( CocoFrio, thanks for the insight that at least the traffic would be less!) I welcome any more thoughts on the subject! thanx

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

I just returned from PA yesterday, the main road infront fo Jax was open, so you are able to park your cart on the sand road between PA and Cafe Del Mar.. The only inconvenience was getting to Hidalgo but it was still walkable.. We had a room right on the road and there was virtually no construction noise that bothered us.. They were actively working on the road but it seemed to be progressing very slowly.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick question about status of road re-paving

Thanks so much for the info, Kelly. Hope you had a great vacation on Isla.