We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla seafood and booze advice needed

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Isla seafood and booze advice needed

My wife and I are heading to IM 11/30 and looking to enjoy some great seafood. Any suggestions on where we might find high quality at a good price? Also, we are from WI so we love to drink, and we could also use some advice on where to stock up on beer, tequila, and rum!

Thanks! (We are staying at PA)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla seafood and booze advice needed

Last question first: Covi Liquor store will have all the booze you need. I don't remember the beer selection but they had a good selection of liquor and wine. Beer is everywhere. There are several small stores within a block or two of PA. Covi is also within walking distance.

As for seafood, there was a recent thread on the issue with lots of suggestions. I can't find the thread right now but you will have no problem finding fresh seafood on Isla. There is a row of casual seafood restaurants near the ferry.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla seafood and booze advice needed

My favorites for seafood include...Alexia & Giovanni's (fish tacos)...BoBo's (fish n chips)...Brisas Grill (shrimp diablo)...Fredy's (baked shrimp)...Justicia Social (ceviche)...Velaquez (shrimp cocktail)...La Bruja (Chipachole, Sunday only).

If you go out for cocktails...Soggy Peso, La Terraza, Jax & Villa La Bella...are my favorites.

Have safe travels & enjoy your vacation!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,726 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla seafood and booze advice needed

Everyone has their favorites, mine are:

Miramar near the ferry for wonderful, fresh seafood: ceviche, grilled garlic fish filet, whole fried fish, the best fish tacos (grilled, not fried), and seafood soup that is like a meal in itself. Olivia for Moroccan fish; Rolandi's for shrimp (or fish) in parsley sauce; French Bistro for shrimp brochettes. While I have not tried it yet, Brisas Grill mentioned above gets very good reviews.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 14:11
Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla seafood and booze advice needed

Many of the threads here concern the food, which I think everyone would concur is excellent. So many places to try, so little time. If you are looking for high quality seafood in a generally unpretentious atmosphere, Isla is the place. In fact the challenge would be to try to find mediocre seafood...while it probably could be done, it's not likely.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,415 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla seafood and booze advice needed

Brisas Grill serves excellent lobster, although it's a little pricier than some of the other places. The shrimp with mojo de ajo were excellent at Basto's Grill in La Gloria, and very inexpensive. And of course, there are the fish tacos at Bally-Hoo, which are the best I've had anywhere.

6. Re: Isla seafood and booze advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:41