We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

We are staying at La Vida Dulce March 23, 2012 for 7 nights and are looking for a 1 day trip for visiting Mayan Ruins. What would be the best choice? Thanks in advance.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

Tulum / Coba or Chichen Itza / Ek Balam?

DIY, private tour or a group tour? Rent a car, take the bus, do a tour.

Based on being at Puerto Juarez, my pick would be the Chichen Itza (as it's on my bucket list) / Ek Balam / Ik Kil / Valladolid combo even though it would make for a very long day no matter which choice you select.

I'm interested to see what people who have actually done these trips from Mujeres have to say. :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,278 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

We did it once (out of 4 trips to Isla - too hard to leave that island!). Anyhow, we used Entertainment Plus and had a fabulous day. We did the tour that took in Chichen Itza, Ek Balam and Il Kil. It was a long day, but it was great -so glad we did it! We put our own group together, so it was actually very affordable and had a great tour guide. We left around 7am and we were back on Isla for a late dinner. I would have loved to have seen Valladolid as well, but we just didn't have the time. Here is the link:

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/tour.asp…

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

My short synopsis of the ruins:

Tulum- smaller grouping - beautiful , sits on a bluff overlooking the water, seeing the ruins won't take that long and you could do something else in the area, go to he Tulum beachfront, best beaches in the Riviera Maya in my opinion, go snorkeling in Akumal, visit Xel -Ha park, etc.

You cannot climb the structures at Tulum

Coba- large group of ruins spread apart, in the jungle, more rustic. You can still climb to the top of the tallest pyramid..awesome!

A lot of walking.

Chichen-Itza, most popular, beautiful grounds, touristy, very impressive structures, you cannot climb the structures. A lot of walking

You can also visit nearby cenotes, or combine a trip to Ek Balam.

Ek Balam, smaller grouping more of a jungle setting, the most beautiful carvings, you can still climb the structures. If you love ruins and are going to Chichen Itza, also visit Ek Balam. Ek Balam is my favorite. or visit Ek Balam and the town of Valladolid.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

Great info Ladies! I went to Tulum from PDC..it's was ok but I really wanted Chichen Itza (actually it's Ek Balam and Valladolid I really wanted to see).

Do you think it's about the same driving time to each? Tulum/Coba..2+ hours one way...Chichen Itza..same thing..2+ hours one way from Puerto Juarez?

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

We have a group of 7 people and would like to do a private van/bus. So it sounds like Ek Balam and going to the the town of Valladolid would be the most insteresting based on what I read so far. Who would you recommend going with? We used USA Transfer for getting to Isla but I have read Entertainment is also good for trips too. Even if it is a local person, that would be fine too!! Winter is here and I am ready for March to get to Isla!!!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
220 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

I just booked a private tour for 11 to Ek Balam. We are using Entertainment Plus. They have the best prices, have used them before, and come highly recommended on TA.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

Entertainment Plus is USA Transfer. Same company :)

ETA: here's the link

http://www.entertainment-plus.net/

Edited: 30 November 2011, 20:17
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

We booked a private driver to take us from Cancun to Ek Balam and back. It's a little under 2 hours each way on the toll road. Ek Balam was great and has maybe only a dozen other visitors instead of the thousands you will find at Chichen itza & Tulum. We drove to Coba when we were staying at Tulum 20-30 mins. That was not crowded either maybe hundreds of people spread around a really large site under the trees.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

Check out our trip report on our Mayan Ruins Adventure. Either one or both could be done on a day trip from Isla, (would be a long day though).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k3920…

10. Re: Mayan Ruins 1 Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:42