We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Toronto
Level Contributor
140 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

This was my second time as a solo traveller on Isla. I came last January on my own and totally felt comfortable with the people and surroundings. My second trip was just as good as the first. I flew Air Canada out of Toronto and the flight was smooth. I used USA Transfer for the second time and they were right there, and asked for me by name. I booked one of the studio suites at Color de Verano and the accommodations were superb! I met Vicki from Lost Oasis and she gave me the keys and showed me around. I then met Teresa, the owner, and she was so warm and welcoming. I posted a review of Color de Verano in the specialty lodgings section. Once I got settled, I headed straight for Hidalgo and had some fish tacos and a couple of Sols from Don Chepo. Then to Super Xpress for groceries and more Sol. I went to the beach to watch the sunset and what a beautiful sight. There were a few people on the beach and a couple of guys fishing off the dock. I felt the tension ease away. I ate dinner at Jax (next door to Color) and had the best chicken nachos and a nice chat with the bartender.

The next day I went to Hotel Carmelina to rent a bicycle. It was $20 for 3 days and I found that to be very reasonable. I rode my bike half way around the island and then back to the Poc Chuc for the Poc Chuc tacos. Now that’s a taco! Off to the beach for relaxation and reading! It was Saturday and I loved being around the Mexican folks, watching the children play. I had dinner at Valazquez on Medina. I had complimentary chips and guacomale and a small ceviche with a very large lime Margarita. I was sort of full after the chips but couldn’t stop eating the ceviche! I have never tried it but it was very good, and probably the healthiest meal I ate on Isla. Having dinner with my toes in the sand was a delightful experience! The meal ended with a complimentary shot of tequila. What a nice touch!

On Sunday, I went to the smaller snorkeling beach next to Garrafon. I was there pretty early so it was quiet when I arrived. The fish were out in full force. I almost thought I wouldn’t see any but there they were, in a huge school. I loved how close they came, even though I didn’t have any food for them. It was a very nice place to relax as well. I wanted to have lunch at El Pueblito but they were closed. Instead, I made my way back to Centro to Tino the Rib Man for some ribs off the bone. I took my meal back to the apartment and enjoyed every minute of it. The ribs go down especially well with a nice cold bottle of Sol! Okay, off to the beach again! I dined at Viva Cuba Libre and had the half order of the mixed meat sandwich and a side of rice and fried plantains. I had the sandwich last year and loved it. This time, the sandwich was a little lean on the meat but just as tasty. I decided to try some tequilas at a place down Hidalgo. I can’t remember the name but it’s on the same side as Fayne’s. After the tequila sampling, I decided to finish off my evening with a couple of lime maragaritas from Sancocho’s. I really enjoyed people watching and the drummers were out to provide some fine entertainment.

Trip is going pretty fast by this point! On Monday, I went to Punta Sur to wander around and ended up at the most eastern part of Mexico. Even though I went there last year, it was still fun to visit and the view of the ocean never ceases to amaze me. I enjoyed my cycling, even though the cruiser was heavy and some of the hills are challenging. Still, I probably burned off some calories which was part of my plan! On the way back, I ate at the Mango Café. I had the chicken chipotle quesadillas and they were awesome! I had a nice chat with a lady who was working there, Nancy. I felt like I was talking to an old friend and we were catching up. Isla has that way about it, doesn’t it? I returned the bike and ended up at the beach again. I had read many wonderful things about Comono, so decided to venture there for dinner. I had a garden salad with the cheese balls and it was delicious! I could’ve eaten a hundred of those cheese balls! I had the falafel as a main course. They were a bit dry and the hummus was lacking garlic, but the tahini was awesome. It all went down well with my complimentary frozen mojito!

Tuesday, my last full day, I walked all around Centro and then down by the water near Hotel Rocamar. I stretched out on a bench and just listened to the ocean, trying to soak it all up before heading back to Toronto the next day. I finally went to Qubano for lunch after hearing so many good things. I met Vivian who was very nice and friendly. I had a great chat with some folks from Virginia while I waited for my Cuban sandwich. It was awesome! I tried to get the Hungarian potatoes but Vivian was out of them for that day. Next time, I want to try the Toston sandwich. For my send off dinner, I had fish tacos at Jax. They were huge and good!

Last day – I got up early and packed up my stuff. I went to Alexia y Geovanny Loncheria for breakfast. I was planning on having eggs but I’m not a huge breakfast fan so I went for the delicious and huge pork tacos. They did not disappoint! I was able to get to the beach to read before getting on the ferry.

All in all, this trip was just as delightful as the last. I felt so comfortable being on my own, with both the local folk and other tourists. I chatted when I wanted to, and kept to myself the rest of the time. It was a very peaceful and relaxing vacation. I shed a few tears as the ferry left the dock but I know that I will be back again!

nikkid37
Level Contributor
354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Sounds amazing :).

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
665 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Thanks for all the food reviews - those are some of the exact places I plan to check out.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

What a wonderful report on a wonderful trip! And no matter how long you are on Isla, it's never long enough. Thanks for sharing!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
874 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

I am glad to hear you had another wonderful trip. You ate at some of my favorite places.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,253 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Great report, I really enjoyed reading it. Sounds like a wonderful vacation and I love that you biked around Isla :) I definitely have to make it to Velazquez one of these days. Everyone has such good things to say about it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Loved your report! :-)

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Fantastic report, thank you!!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Typicalme,

Thanks for your trip report. I've booked the penthouse at Color de Verano for April through Lost Oasis and according to their website there are "two bicycles per unit for your use." Just wondering if this is accurate since you said you rented a bicycle. Also how were the beach chairs and umbrella they have available.

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
140 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Hi Slate, the bicycles are no longer available. There was construction in front of the building so they took them away and never returned them. I was a bit disappointed but knew that I could rent a bike for a reasonable price at Hotel Carmelina. I never used the umbrella, but the beach chairs were sufficient for my use. They recline, but not as much as a lounger. There was a little cooler attached to the back of one so I just poured in some ice and took cans of beer with me. You can rent a lounger on the beach or go to one of the beach bars and they are free if you drink there. I hope you enjoy Color de Verano as much as I did!

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Trip Report, November 18-23rd

Drool...

; )