We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

We are going to Isla Mujeres in a week and would like to visit Chichen Itza and Tulum at some point. What is the best way to do this? Can we organize this from IM or do we need to cross over to Cancun?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,660 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

USA Transfers (also a transfer company between airport and ferry and vice versa) will arrange tours to both. You can check it out here: entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/…

Keep in mind that both are quite a distance from Isla so it will be a very long and tiring day. It can be done, but count on one full day for each, especially Chichen Itza which is huge.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

I agree, you could not possibly do both in one day.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

It took us 14 hours to go to Chichen Itza, have lunch, and briefly tour a couple of cenotes in Valladolid. This includes the car ferry time which takes longer than the people ferry. We went early as the crowds gather at Chichen Itza around 11:00. Perhaps we spent more time than others would at the ruins, but we didn't see them all. It was a long, long day but well worth it once.

We stayed in Tulum another time and toured the ruins there in a couple of hours. They were much smaller and less interesting to us after Chichen.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

Even if you were staying on the mainland you wouldn't want to try both in a day. You could combine a trip to Tulum with snorkeling in Akumal Bay, which is chock full o' turtles. Very nice. Or Chichen Itza combined with a dip in a nearby cenote and a stop in Valladolid. Either of these are full-day ventures.

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

Thank you all for such great and quick input. Can't wait to go !!! :-)

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

If you really like ruins consider adding Ek Balam with C. Itza and consider a Coba/Tulum combo.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
815 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

Check out our trip report on our Tulum / Coba Adventure. Either one or both could be done on a day trip from Isla, (would be a long day though).

http://tinyurl.com/239kl2l

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

re: Co_Pilot and Hogfamily

thank you so much for the suggestions guys. I love ruins - will definitely try to do both Chichen/Ek Balam and Coba/Tulum even if it takes two separate trips. The Coba and Tulum pictures are just amazing - thank you Hogfamily

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

Hogfamily,

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures. Coba looks really challenging. How did the children like it? Everyone made it to the top?

DH and I took a day trip to Chichen Itza two summers ago and haven't had the will to try for the others, LOL. We are such bums. Maybe next trip???

Thanks for posting!

Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking a trip to Chichen Itza and Tulum from IM

Last year we did the Tulum & Coba trip and it was a great experience!

I just couldn't find the strength to climb up Coba but hubby did and didn't regret it! He took some pictures from up there and the view is just so spectacular!

It was a little too hot in September, 2 years ago. Bring a hat and lotsa water!

I almost fainted because of the heat...considering I grew up on a tropical island!