We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,543 posts
Save Topic
Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

Coming to Isla on Saturday for the first time - very excited!

For various reasons, I have to be SUPER careful to make sure I do not get sick while in Mexico. I cannot take Cipro or Pepto or any of the other usual anti-diarrheals, and as such I am entirely reliant on preventive measures to avoid getting ill in the first place.

I know to avoid unpasteurized dairy, raw produce that can't be peeled, undercooked meat and fish, and tap water. I wil be vigilant about hand washing and using sanitizing gel.

We're staying at Ixchel, where I understand they provide us with bottled water. I plan to bring my own reusable water bottle (as I always do) so I can fill it from the hotel's water bottle and carry it with me to the beach and while out and around. Will I be able to/not offend anyone if I bring my own bottle of water to restaurants, so that I do not have to worry about accidentally being given tap water? I will not be drinking anything besides water on this trip, as I cannot drink alcohol at the moment.

I promise I'm not usually paranoid, and am usually a very adventurous eater. If I've missed any other obvious "staying healthy in Mexico" advice, please feel free to share it. Thanks again!

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

i am sure no restaurant personnel will mind if you bring your own water bottle. I wouldn't worry about it. Another tummy-settling tip: consume yogurt before and during your trip. The local supermarkets sell several delicious flavors in single-portion containers.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

If you haven't investigated acidophilus, you should. It works great for me. I take the kind that doesn't need refrigeration with me.

I have taken my own water with me to many places, and no one seems to mind. However, everyone sells bottled water at their restaurants. When I am going to one of the fancier places, I buy their water.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

I'm sure you already know, but make sure you take PROBIOTICS everyday, starting before you leave home. Acidophilus, a major one that is in yogurt, is great but a broad range one would be good to take in pill form along with eating yogurt...

BTW.. never been sick on Isla, only the 2 AI's we stayed at in Cancun....

Wish you well....:)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,494 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

I either bring my own water bottle (filled up every day) or buy bottled water - no one cares in any restaurant I have been to. And most restaurants will give you the bottle directly - only a few of the more upscale places fill you glass with the bottled water.

I also take acidophilus daily while in MX - never a problem and we eat EVERYWHERE on Isla. Have fun! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

As others have mentioned, probiotics can be a big help.

But the restaurants serve either bottled or purified water. Eating "undercooked" fish would, I suppose, rule out ceviche, which is not cooked at all, but that's one of my favorite dishes so I'm not willing to skip that. I have never used hand sanitizer in my life. I have never avoided eating anything on Isla and have never been even remotely ill, except over the prospect of coming home. And as you'll see from reading this forum, incidents of illness are extremely rare.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

Just saying, because of the situation, they should be vigilant...We try to do the preventative measures, but never had a real need except for Cancun & Roatan..

no matter what I did in Roatan, I still got sick....

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

I use probiotics before I leave and while on Isla. I eat at mostly cheaper restaurants and off of street carts. The food is fabulous and safe. I have traveled with several members of my family on several trips and no one has gotten sick. I also eat lots of the fabulous fruit in restaurants. I realize that you may have to be more careful than I do but i just wanted you to know our experiences. Don't worry and enjoy your trip.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 00:10
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

We all do not want you to get sick as well..You seem to have covered the basics..I never drink tap water in Mexico..That includes rinsing your toothbrush with bottled water..The other is hand sanitizer..The third would be the combination of too much sun,food and alcohol which won't concern you..The most overlooked though is food temperature..Storage,thawing,cooking,buffet table temp and how you handle leftovers...Our last trip I accidentally drank tap water at Rolandis and was fine..Isla depends on tourism and can not afford bad publicity...The Island is very laid back and I can not see anywhere frowning on you bringing your own water...

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

We too take probiotics and also digestive enzymes. Never get sick and we ate out many times

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,630 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Possibly stupid question about water in restaurants

If you order water on Isla, most times they will give you bottled water

Free water is a rareity

And yes, you can bring your own