We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla weather now???

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Isla weather now???

Hi! I will be going to Isla for the first time and leaving in 7 days. I checked the weather on weather.com and it said showers! Does that mean it will be raining all day?? I hope not since I was really looking foward to laying out on the beach for most of the day. If anyone can shed some light on the typical weather in January...much appreciated!

Does anyone know if Villa Rolandi has a good exchange rate or if it is better to stick to the ATMs?

Thanks!

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla weather now???

I haven't been in January, but you are better off using an ATM (preferably one associated with your bank if there is one) to get the best exchange rate.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla weather now???

Don't look at the weather channel, which is really listing Cancun weather. I can't tell you how many times I have been laying on the beach on Isla and it can be raining in Cancun, but not Isla. :)

To dark to see now, but earlier today I looked and it was a beautiful day on Isla with just a few clouds in the sky . . . check this tomorrow morning. :)

webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-isla-mujeres.html

Most of our trips to Isla have been in Jan & Feb, and most of those trips we have seen little if any rain. Good luck! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla weather now???

Okay thanks for the tip!

Darien,Connecticut
Level Contributor
517 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla weather now???

The exchange rate @ the Villa Rolandi will be what the exchange rate is @ the bank that day. We have never had to go to the ATM.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla weather now???

It has been cool(by Isla standards) for the last couple days. Had a north wind with temps in the low 70's. No problem laying out yesterday or today. Haven't seen any rain since we got here Christmas Eve. As previously mentioned, you cannot go by most if the Internet weather information. Cancun weather is different than Isla weather!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla weather now???

read the rest of the forecast and pay attention to odds like 10% and phrases like partly cloudy.

www.weather.com/weather/tenday/MXQR0075

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla weather now???

Not to burst any bubbles here but I would like the OP to be aware that cool weather CAN occur in January. Nortes ("north winds") are not uncommon, nortes happen in Jan. and Feb. It can be quite cool with fairly strong winds.....and rain sometimes. Villa Rolandi , because if it's location, is somewhat protected fortunately!

We have been going to Isla in the winter months for 15 years so I am not unfamiliar with weather patterns at this time of year.

Travellin87, I truly wish you warm and sunny weather! BUT....I would go prepared for cool weather and rain. (Jacket, long pants, poncho and/or umbrella....and I hope you will need none of it!)

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla weather now???

islaforme has it spot on. The chance of Nortes and associated dips in temperatures is the biggest concern in the winter months. Last January, we had overnight temps in the 50's and with no heat in the condo, it was almost as cold inside. While 70's in the afternoon may sound warm, when you get the strong wind blowing, it doesn't make for a great beach day.

Hopefully you will be blessed with warm, sunny and calm days! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,321 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla weather now???

Agree with MD and Islaforme. Take a light jacket and/or sweater for evenings and also make sure to have long pants. Shorts may be fine during the day but you could be chilly at night. January can be unpredictable; two years ago we were freezing in jeans and sweatshirts, last january was very nice but I wore long sleeves at night. So be sure to have more than just shorts and tank tops :)

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla weather now???

I am glad to see some honest responses here. I almost cringe when somebody asks this question cuz the answer is usually "its always nice on Isla, don't worry and ha e fun" Yes it is windy in Jan and Feb. On the beach you can an au natural facial peel--on all exposed body parts. In the evenings it can be downright cold, don't forget a jacket. But rain? If it does rain it's not for very long------usually.