We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
Save Topic
Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

There's been so much discussion of Ixchel in the last few days that I thought I'd try to write this out as we go, rather than try to remember everything after we get back. I'm on my smartphone, so I'll be keeping it as concise as possible.

We arrived yesterday on a half empty flight from Raleigh Duham. The plane landed at Cancun a half an hour ahead of schedule, and since we had no checked baggage and very good luck in the immigration line (we ended up at the front of it) we were through the line very quickly. We stopped to get cash at the Santander ATM, which worked very quickly and gave me a nice selection of large and small bills (a mix of 500s, 200s, 100s and 50s). Be aware, the screen that asks if you want to donate something is one of the few that don't have English translation. If I hadn't known I look for it, I probably would have just pressed "si." So, cash in hand, we ended up outside the terminal a good ten minutes ahead of our scheduled landing time.

We'd booked a transfer with Best Day (not the shuttle) and the guy at the desk was very apologetic that they didn't have the car waiting. In five minutes, they put us in a minibus that we had to ourselves, and took us straight to Gran Puerta. The ride took about 40 minutes.

We had excellent luck at the ferry, too - we got to the port at 3:50, and I bought tickets while my husband used the bathroom (the men's room at the airport outside of customs wasn't working) and we made the 4 o'clock ferry. Sitting up top felt like the perfect start to our vacation. The weather was gorgeous.

When we arrived in Isla, we got in the very fast moving cab line and were taken straight to Ixchel for 40 pesos.

I'd booked an ocean front room, and they put us in 210 in tower 2. The room is lovely - huge, with an enormous balcony. Yes, there are palm trees between us and the ocean in a few places, but I'm not complaining about having to look at palm trees in January. :) There are TVs in both rooms: a flat screen in the living room, and a tube tv with a flat screen in the bedroom. The kitchen is reasonably well equipped for six people, except that there are only two spoons of each size, and no pots, only pans. It's still more than enough for our needs, so we're very happy. We were settled in at Ixchel within two hours of landing, but as I said, we got very lucky with all of our timing.

After unpacking a little, we headed out to take a quick stroll on the beach at sunset, and then to go wander down Hidalgo to find some dinner. We're without a map (I forgot to order a mapchick map before we left, and Barlito's is closed on Sundays and Mondays, so we're flying blind at the moment) but I had my list of "Dining on Isla" from the Top Questions, so we picked Asia Caribe for our first dinner. My husband's chicken lo mein was enormous, and everything was very good. We stopped at a market for some cheese and crackers for me, and coke and milk for the room, and picked up a (very cheap!) bottle of Kahlua for my husband, and settled in for the night. We heard nothing from Chimbo's last night.

I can't post pictures from my smartphone, but I'll gladly email someone a picture of the room service menu (it's a white sheet in a plastic holder) so someone else can post it. PM me if you'd be willing to link it to a comment in this thread. I'll try to get a picture of the menu at the beach when we get out there today.

Oh, and the Wi-Fi works great. Anyone have any questions?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

Thanks for the "live from" report. It sounds great and so glad everything worked out so perfectly :) Looking forward to more! How's the weather?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Today would be the day to wander over to the mercado for some cochinita pibil and some freshly made tortillas. For 2 people, 1/2 kilo ("media kilo") will suffice. You can bring it back to your room and heat it up for lunch.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

We don't eat pork, so we'll pass, but I'm sure it's fabulous.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

That must be some damn fine pork! LOL!!! I've seen you mention it several times. I have a food truck specializing in smoked pork so I'm going to try it as soon as we land. Should I give them your name so that you can accumulate more referral points? Just kidding! I love it when people are that in love with a dish! It's the biggest compliment to the cook!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

OOOOO, Thank you for posting. I am so excited for you and happy things are going well. How do you like the beach?

And. . .are you feeling okay?

Loving a "live" TR!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

Smokey: the cochinita pibil is available at the mercado only on Sundays--get there before they sell out. If you have a condo, stop by after breakfast and then you can reheat it for lunch. It's at a booth all the way into the mercado, almost in the opposite corner from the tortillas.

For me, the cochinita pibil remains my all-time favorite Isla dish. For my wife, that would be the black bean soup at La Lomita. For both of us, those two and the fish tacos at Bally-Hoo round out our top 3.

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

How does the conchita pibil compare to Tino's ribs? Last year we ordered a kilo and nibbled them for lunch for days!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

If you have a chance go to Picus, grab a table by the water and have a snack around 1130. The fishermen bring in their catch and clean it nearby. Quite a cool bird show.

Have fun and keep us posted!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

Aruba.. two completely different dishes. Cochinita pibil is more like pulled pork, served with tortillas and pickled onions.

Brooklyn, can't wait to hear the rest! Like where you had dinner tonight :) How is the weather, is it warm and sunny?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip (In Progress) Report: Ixchel Beach Hotel 1/7 - 1/14

The weather is about 80 and sunny with a nice breeze. Today was a perfect beach day! Sorry for the hijack.