We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must eats!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must eats!

I know there are a lot of posts, but one more won't hurt?! So what are your must eats in isla? We are adventourous eaters, into local spots and love our seafood.We will be there for a week.

I know for sure I got to try conchinita pibil(do they sell it other than Sundays?).

My husband love's garlic shrimp...any specific places people like?

I also would like to find a good rotisserie/bbq chicken spot(when we were in pm, they had the most flavorful chicken w/rice and beans).

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must eats!

If you love seafood Picus is the place, not far from where you get off the ferry and you can sit right on the beach we ate there I'll bet 5 times ...

Most fish dishes are 80 peso's (try the orange roughy if they have it) shrimp I think was 120 peso's and they do have garlic shrimp I had the bbq 'ed shrimp was very , very good you could taste a hint of sea salt still in them .. enjoy!!!!.

Right at the start of Hildalgo there is a rotissere /chicken joint mostly locals went there to eat, almost across from Lola Valentina's place you will reconise it you can see them roasting the chickens I think it was 90 peso's for a whole chicken, on my to do list next time I'm there...Sooo many good places to eat on this island ..

If you like your cappachino go to Cafe Hildalgo and they have some very good crepes there ...Barlito's for lunch was very good, the pinini/ sandwiches are wonderful...

Safe travels...jimmy

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must eats!

My life was forever altered by the chilequile at Da Luisa, the quesadilla at Mango Cafe, the naan/ "garlic bread" at Angelo and the fish, fish, fish we ate everywhere.

I miss it so . . . (sigh)

Happy Eating!

Mentioned in this post
Da Luisa
Da Luisa
252 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Angelo
Angelo
371 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Maryland
Level Contributor
264 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must eats!

Tostone Sandwich at Qubano and Guacamole at ElPueblito......first two things we are planning on eating when we arrive Wednesday!

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must eats!

Monchi's Caramello and Monchi's-can't wait!!!

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must eats!

Here is my list, be sure to read all the posts because in my original list some of the places have closed. This list is just based on recommendations, trip reports and restaurant reviews since I haven't been there yet. There is an amended list at the end. 13 days til my first trip!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k4735…

new york
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must eats!

If you like seafood do not miss the tikin xik at Brisas Grill. It's a whole fish butterflied, marinated in spices and achiote, then grilled. It's for two and is the best thing I ate on Isla last month. Served with rice and grilled veggies.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must eats!

Our favorite dishes on Isla are the cochinita pibil (only on Sundays at the mercado, but perhaps other places have it all week?), the black bean soup at La Lomita and the fish tacos at Bally-Hoo. Other "must eats" are the sandwiches and Hungarian Potatoes at Qubano, the French toast at Mango Cafe and breakfasts at Alexia y Geovanny. They have a great garlic shrimp at Basto's Grill in La Gloria. And FYI, anything you see described as "mojo de ajo" is in a garlic sauce.

Also be sure to stop by at Barlito. Not only is the food great (and very filling) but owners Brad & Tiffany are two of the nicest people on the island.

For drinks, don't miss the pomegranate margaritas at Miguel's Moonlite and the pina coladas and margaritas at Villa La Bella.

Mentioned in this post
Barlito
Barlito
1,158 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,256 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must eats!

Let's see . . . for me, it is finding the perfect huevos divorciados - and last time, that was a Cafe Mogagua (sp?). Also love breakfast at the French Bistro for breakfast.

Black bean soup at LaLomita's is a must - I also love their chicken mole.

Fish & seafood at Briasas Grill - the best! I love their salads too.

Freddy's for his baked shrimp.

Sancocho's - I like their simple tacos and their chicken soup.

Cafe Hildalgo for dessert - nutella crepe is my favorite.

Gelato around town

Marquesita's at least once - I like the caramel and nutella.

Have fun! You will run out of vacation before you run out of food to try on Isla. :)

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Mogagua
Cafe Mogagua
759 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
882 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must eats!

Here are some of my choices:

Bally-Hoo for Fish Tacos

Kash Keken Chuc for To-go BBQ Chicken

Picus Cocktelera for Ceviche

Qubano Restaurant for A Quick Lunch

Mentioned in this post
Kash Keken Chuc
Kash Keken Chuc
182 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Qubano Restaurant
Qubano Restaurant
1,487 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must eats!

Zama Beach Club for their fish tacos al pastor.

Minino's for either fish or shrimp mojo de ajo (garlic sauce)

Caffe Italia for nutella and banana crepes and coffee

Pita Amore for fantastic pitas - unlike any other!

Sunset Grill for the fish Greek style

Mango for the coconut french toast

And last but not least Huevos Motulenos at Rolandi's on Hidlago.

My mouth is watering!!!

Mentioned in this post
Caffe Italia
Caffe Italia
265 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Pita Amore Isla Mujeres
Pita Amore Isla Mujeres
680 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill