We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Isla

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Isla

So happy to be making my first trip to Isla May 1-5. Its only for 4 nights because we are spending 3 nights in Merida.

We are staying at Casa Azul . Hope to get some diving in and a fishing trip while we are there. I am excited about visiting Isla, hopefully it will be a much needed change from the Cozumel hustle and bustle of the cruise ships that have overtaken the island.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Isla

You will enjoy Isla. It has a vibe like no place else. It feels like going home every time we go back.

The diving is not as good on Isla so you may be a little disappointed in that respect.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,153 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Isla

tejas01..have a great time! When you come back, will you please post a review for us? Especially of Casa Azul. Thanks! :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Isla

Isla is a wonderful place with a unique feel, but as MO points out diving is not its strong suit--nothing like the diving on Cozumel. If you were only coming about 6 weeks later, you'd be able to snorkel with whale sharks! And I'm jealous of your trip to Merida as well, it's been on our bucket list for years. Had it all planned out for next year but then we decided to return to Isla to show it off to my parents.

BC
Level Contributor
259 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Isla

We will be staying at Casa Azul in a couple weeks for 2 weeks and are planning on diving and fishing as well so I will try and post something helpful in February for you. The whale sharks are on our bucket list too, might have to return for a week in the summer.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,153 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Isla

Excellent Marco...look forward to hearing about it...there's nothing out here on TA. Have a great trip! :-)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Isla

Tejas01...I hope that you will include Merida in your trip report. That's next on our list to visit along with the Progreso area.

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Isla

I will. We have been talking about Merida for years, so figure we might as well check it out for a few days. We always see it on House Hunters International, and looked like a great place to check out. Only parts of Mexico we have seen is the beach areas, so it will be nice to see a city side of Mexico.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Isla

We plan to go some time this year and stay in Progreso. If things go as planned then we hope to move there in the next few years. Our IM trip is for much needed R and R and Progreso will to be for looking at properties. HHI and our friends recent move to IM has inspired us to to move south.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Isla

Merida is one of my favorite cities. Have a great time both there and on Isla and yes, please tell us how it all went in a trip report when you get back! :)

New Castle, Delaware
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Isla

We are staying at Casa Azul at the end of Feb. I'd love to hear reviews... although all of the positive reviews on vrbo have me pretty confident that we've made a good choice. especially for the $$.