We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bugs!!

Olympia, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bugs!!

What's the bug situation like on IM? Flying, crawling, etc. Don't want to wear DEET the whole time.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bugs!!

I have been here in Dec., Jan., & Feb. I have never had an issue with any type of bugs that required bug spray. My husband has had a couple issues with bites on his legs. Don't know if it was some type of sand flea or something in the foliage around the patio. He claims he is just sweeter than I am. :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bugs!!

We have been to Isla many times over the last 15 years, have rarely had any problems with bugs. There are mosquitoes in the hotter, rainy and more humid months but they are not prevalent in the winter months in my experience. I have never taken with us or had to buy any big repellent. People have complained of sand fleas, as mentioned above, but we've never had any issues.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bugs!!

When are you going? Bugs are really an issue June-November (during the rainy season). Also, if you are staying in an area with a lot of vegetation, they can be bad but they are not as much of an issue in urban areas.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bugs!!

Avon skin-so-soft is good at repelling skeeters, as is standing near an ocean breeze.

nikkid37
Level Contributor
354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bugs!!

I go between Sept and Nov and I typically get pretty bitten by Mosquitos. Other then that nothing else.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bugs!!

Even in summer months I was never bothered by mosquitos. As for other things, I've never seen any in any hotel we've stayed at.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bugs!!

I've been in march, may, and Oct and have never even had one bite. Here in IL I usually get bit more often than anyone around me. Hmmm, I guess Isla is safer for me. Time to move! (I wish)

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bugs!!

The only place we were bitten by mosquitos was at Mundacas Hacienda down by the swampy area where the animals are

I am not fond of DEEt so I use a blend of essential oils to ward off mosquitoes if I know we are going to be exposed

ct
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bugs!!

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure I wore bug spray in Akumal in April, but not on Isla-and if there was one mosquito on the island it would find me and have a feast.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bugs!!

As everyone said, they're really not a problem in the winter months. We've taken a number of trips now in the June through November time period, and I have run into mosquitoes, even on the windward side. I take something with me during those months because with dengue now being a bigger problem on the island -- I don't want to risk getting that! Some of the restaurants out of town on the bayside (and even El Patio on Hidalgo) have spray available for customers to use if they feel the bite. If you don't want to pack anything, you can buy Autan on the island if you discover you need it.