We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
576 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day 3

Up early and a light breakfast at the buffet, mainly had fruit and a few eggs. Getting fresh fruit in Alaska is very hard so anytime we get it, it's like a big treat for us. Then off to our first open water dive. We dove on the reefs at Garaffon. The wife had some trouble in the beginning but Andreas helped her thru it and the rest of the dive went well. We seen a large variety of fish, beautiful reefs and the underwater statues. We made it back to the dive shop around 1:00.

We walked down Hildago trying to decide where to have lunch. We passed Brisa and I smelled their cooking and that's all it took. We had lunch there. We had guacamole first, It was the best we've had yet. I had the Steak Fajitas and the wife had the Pork fajitas. We shared and it was tough to decide which was better, but I think the Steak won. The wife had a Pina Colada and I had a Sprite. Our lunch was only 430 Pesos. That's $33 USD. A lunch like that in Alaska would cost $80 easy.

Back to the room and a power nap. After two dives we were pretty tuckered out.

After the nap we hung out on our balcony in the nice breeze, read and people watched.

For dinner we went to Satay Restaurant. I had the teriyaki Steak and the wife had ??????? I'm getting old I can't remember. Anyway it was a very pleasant dinner. I believe this place gets bad reviews but last year we enjoyed it and again this year.

2 more dives tomorrow and we will be certified. The wife wants to get a golf cart for the weekend to try the restaurant on the south end. Looking forward to doing that. Well good night all. More tomorrow.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 3

Thanks for the update Mark. You'll enjoy your golf cart time.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 3

Sounds like a great trip so far. Thanks for keeping us "live" from Isla!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 3

I love the fruit you get in Mexico! Even those of us who live in the continental US do not often get fruit this fresh and juicy, since it's usually picked well before it's ripe so that it can be shipped before spoiling. Never had such sweet pineapple!

Glad your diving is going well. Before your week is out, I'd recommend the Punta Sur drift dive, which takes you all the way around the southern end of the island, from Garrafon to the Caribbean side. Once over there, there's a site called Media Luna with a lot of interesting swim-throughs. In my opinion, these are the best 2 sites Isla has to offer. Also, since the air you're breathing while diving is extremely dry (moisture inside an aluminum tank is a bad thing) be sure to rehydrate. Drink plenty of water before and after your dives.

Thanks for sharing--hope the rest of your trip goes as well!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,257 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 3

Thanks again. Love these reports so looking forward to the rest :)

5. Re: Day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 10:24